Friday, November 19, 2010

What I'm Thankful For





I know this post is a little early for Thanksgiving, but since I won’t be blogging again until next Friday, I thought I’d post my thankful list this week. So, this year I am thankful for:


1. My family.
They are the best. Seriously.  I could not ask for a more fun, more supportive, more loving bunch. The economy has touched everyone in my family this year, but even through the worst of times, we can get together and have a nice meal (even if it sometimes comes from the fast food taco stand… on sale… with a coupon), a nice glass of wine (Two-buck Chuck anyone?), and a good laugh.

2. My healthy, happy kids.
This past year my son had to have minor oral surgery. While the surgery itself was a very simple procedure, it did require several pre-procedure visits to the children’s hospital. Every time we went we would see kids in wheelchairs, kids who were sick, kids whose hair had fallen out from chemo. I felt so bad for those kids that it almost brought me - and my ten year old son! - to tears more than once. I felt extremely lucky that my son was there for something so minor. Healthy children is definitely not something I’m taking for granted this year.

3. My friends.
And, yes, this includes all of you. :) It’s been a stressful year around our house in many ways (Oh, Baby T, how I love thee!), but any time I felt overwhelmed I knew a pep talk from a good friend was just a phone call (or email) away. Through all the deadlines, I had wonderful writer friends cheering me on, pushing me forward, and kicking my butt when I felt like giving up. Throughout all the changes at my former publisher, and the challenges this presented, the Killers have been an amazing support group that I am eternally grateful for. Everyone should have as many good friends as I’ve had this year.

4. Work.
Deadlines have been, as I mentioned, crazy overwhelming.  Juggling writing for multiple publishers has been hectic, and learning the ins and outs of digital self-publishing has had a huge learning curve for me. But, I have work. Doing what I love, no less. I’m supporting my family with my passion. And that is truly something to be thankful for.

Anyone else have their list ready yet? What are you guys thankful for this year?

~Trigger Happy Halliday

P.S. Oh, and one more…

5. Whole Foods.com
Because without them, I would have no idea how to cook gluten-free stuffing (for The Man), mashed sweet potatoes (for Baby T), or be able to buy frozen organic burritos (for Big Boy, who is boycotting Thanksgiving altogether and insisting he will only eat Mexican food that day… tweens are so much fun…).

7 comments:

krisgils33 said...

I'm thankful for my family, my friends, my excellent job, and my favorite authors, without whose books my life would be completely incomplete.

Christie Craig said...

Great post. We all have so much to be thankful. I have to cook three different kinds of dressing to make my crazy family happy, but I love it all the same. Family is so important.

Happy Thanksgiving, Gemma.

CC

Robin Kaye said...

My daughter has had several surgeries at the Chicago Shriners Hospital and we've not only gotten the best care I've seen anywhere, (and believe me, I've seen a lot of hospitals with this kid) they have the best surgeons in the world (or we did, at least) and all the surgeries and all her care were done it at no cost to us.

She's been going to Shriners since she was three months old. Her first surgery was at a year, her second at a year and a half. She was in PICU after each one for three days and had not one, but two nurses and a respiratory therapist with her for her entire stay.

The people at Shriners make miracles happen on a daily basis. They took my little girl and fixed her arms. When everyone said would never walk, and they helped us make sure she ran. She's a 13 year-old walking and running miracle and I will be forever in their debt and forever thankful.

One visit to a Shriners hospital and your life is changed forever. Not one visit goes by that I'm not touched to the point of tears.

I spend every Thanksgiving thanking God for Shriners, for all we have, for all we've achieved, for all we've been given, and for how very lucky we are to be happy and healthy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gemma Halliday said...

Kris - Yes! Books! Another reason to be thankful! I'm hoping I have more time to read next ear. I've missed it.

Gemma Halliday said...

CC - your family sounds as picky as mine. The Man won't eat gluten or dairy, Baby T won't eat anything with texture (even though he has teeth now), and Big Boy mostly eats food in "nugget" form. I've given up cooking most of the time.

Gemma Halliday said...

Robin - I'm SO glad your daughter had such great care. I can only imagine how hard that must have been. Your daughter sounds like one strong girl.

RM Kahn said...

I count my blessings daily for my family and friends. My husband recently had to go gluten-free so this Thanksgiving should be interesting as I try new and invented recipes for dressing and pie. (he is amazingly patient while I redo all my recipes.)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.