Thursday, November 04, 2010

Catching Up and Moving Ahead

I really hate to post a picture of myself at the beginning of my 'Comeback Blog' but I kind of wanted to remind you all what I look like. It's been a while. And I'm thrilled to be back. But I need to play a bit of catch-up.

First off--as all writers like to do--permit me to set the scene. I'm sitting in my rather cold office having frugally set the furnace to come on at 60 degrees. I've got my Iowa State University sweatshirt on (two offspring attending that fine institution) and a warm pair of sweatpants. My office window curtains are open and I'm looking out over a fall scene complete with blue skies, sunshine, and falling leaves. I have Christmas music on in the background (Silver Bells at the moment) and a nice hot cup of vanilla tea to warm me. I'm also blowing my nose every ten seconds from the crud I just caught. Glamourous, huh?

Now for the catching up part.

This spring our family was one of many families who received the devastating, heart-stopping diagnosis of cancer. And it pretty much stopped me in my tracks--especially in the writing realm--as all my energy and time was directed into helping and supporting my family member as she courageously battled cancer as well as helping my entire family through this difficult time. When I wasn't at the hospital or providing medical support, I was working extra hours to build up compensatory time to use for medical appointments. It's been a long, difficult journey, but several weeks ago we got the incredible news that the cancer is in full remission! In fact, last weekend we had a 'Cancer Cure Costume Gala' to celebrate the awesome news. I even dressed up!


If you couldn't guess who I'm dressed as, I'll tell you. It's 'Mrs. White' from the movie version of Clue. It was great fun--all the more so because of why we were celebrating. While we won't finish up treatment for another three weeks, I felt it was time to get myself back in the swing of things and get headed ahead on another long, difficult trek: the writing journey. Since we've been fortunate to add such wonderful, talented authors to our roster here at Killer Fiction, blogging every other Thursday is now going to be very doable for me. And, as I said before, I'm just thrilled to be back.

Moving Ahead

As some of you may recall, in March of this year I began the Great Agent Hunt, having terminated my agreement with my former agent. That hunt, however, had to be put on the back burner while we dealt with medical issues. However, I am beginning that search anew. For those of you wondering when/if another Calamity Jayne book will be out, the answer is 'I hope so.' Events relating to my former publisher are still in flux and I should know more in the next couple of weeks about the future of this series. Meanwhile, with the help of fellow Killer Fiction author turned mentor Jana DeLeon (a/k/a 'Deadly DeLeon) I am getting ready to submit a project to Harlequin Intrigue. While it has taken me awhile to get used to the shorter, tighter story structure, I am enjoying the challenge and the opportunity to explore a different direction with my writing. More on that soon, I hope.

Meanwhile, I continue to work full-time in legislative and judicial security and enjoy the oppportunity to see state government at work up close and personal. And. Yeah. The stories I'll tell...;)

So. I'm grateful today. I'm grateful for beautiful autumn days, jazz music, and flavored tea. I'm grateful for the opportunity to once again do something I love so much and have missed so dearly. I'm grateful to God for His care and strength and healing. And I'm grateful for caring friends and loving family.

Boy Howdy! It's great to be back in the saddle again!

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

27 comments:

Phyllis Bourne said...

Thrilled to hear your kiddo is in remission! Fantastic!

My native Floridian dh keeps the heat at a sweltering 77 degrees. Still, he has on fleece. I have on shorts and a tank top.

Good luck with Intrigue and getting rid of that cold!

Kathy Bacus said...

Hi Phyllis! Thanks for the best wishes. We're so thankful that the treatments have worked so well. Truly a blessing.

I can relate to your dh's preference for fleece. I generally become cold in October and remain a popsicle until May.

And thank you for the writing 'atta girls'. It's tough getting back in the creative swing of things.

~Kat~

Diane Kelly said...

The remission is such good news! So glad that your life will be returning to normal - or as normal as life ever gets for a writer. My guess is the thermostat setting is directly related to having two kids in college. We kept ours set at 78 throughout the brutal Texas summer in order to pay for our daughter's dance lessons and custom tap shoes that cost more than my wedding dress. The things we do for those we love, huh?

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Dianne! Each day is a celebration of life here for sure.

And I'll have all three of my triplets back in college come January. Needless to say, I'll be wearing my cuddle duds then for sure. I'm just hoping for warm, mild, DRY winter after last year's record breaker.

Kathy Bacus said...

Oops. That should be Diane. I have a sister who spells her name Dianne. Sorry!

~K

Hellie Sinclair said...

Great to have you back!! And I'm glad the cancer is in remission!

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, MsHellion! I'm glad to be back!

~Kat

Gemma Halliday said...

I'm celebrating your family's cancer-free status from Cali with you! Hooraaaaaay!
So glad to have you back!

~Gemma

catslady said...

It's wonderful to hear good news - there's not enough of it anymore it seems. I'm looking forward to more blogs and again, fantastic news!

Tori Lennox said...

So glad you're back! And even more glad for your good news.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thank you, Gemma! And thanks so much to all the Killer Fiction Divas for their unbelievable support.

YOU'RE THE BEST!

~K

Kathy Bacus said...

Thank you, Catslady and Tori! It's great to be back--and even greater to have such fab news on the medical front to share with y'all.

Whoo hoo!

~Kat

Terri Osburn said...

Welcome back, Kathy! Great news on the homefront and I can't wait to follow along on your great agent hunt. Plus, good luck with Harlequin.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Terri! I'm ready to get back at the business of writing, that's for sure.

I've missed you all.

~K

Robin Kaye said...

Isn't remission just the most wonderful word you've ever heard? I'm thrilled for your good news and that you're writing again. Welcome back to the blog, you were missed!

Christie Craig said...

Kathy,

I'm so thrilled to have you back with us again. Believe me when I say we are celebrating with you.

Awesome news!!!

CC

Refhater said...

Welcome Back!

The remission is great news! We just went through a similar battle and unfortunatly lost a very close family friend to leukemia. My cousin was also just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer as well. A cancer dignosis sure makes you appreciate every moment you're able to spend with a loved one.

Best of luck with your writing and agent hunt.

Suzan Harden said...

So glad you're back on a wave of good news, Kathy. We missed you!

Kathy Bacus said...

You betcha, Robin. When I heard the words 'complete remission' I wanted to rumba! I settled for a Snoopy Happy Dance with the doc.

And thanks for the welcome back!

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

Thank you, Christie. I've missed hanging out with you all.

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

Hugs on your recent loss, Refhater. And you are so right. I've learned to be grateful and thankful for the special people in my life.

~Blessings~

~Kathy

Kathy Bacus said...

Yeah. I'm thinking some good news was definitely in order, Suzan. Thanks for the welcome back!

~Kathy

Dru said...

Welcome back!

I'm glad the cancer is in remission.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Dru!

Jana DeLeon said...

I'm so glad you're back, Kathy, especially as it means remission! Here's wishing you a very successful future. :)

Kathy Bacus said...

I wouldn't be back without the support from you and all the other Dangerous Divas who hang out here at Killer Fiction.

Thanks again, friend.

~Kat

Bookmobiler said...

"Catching Up and Moving Ahead"
Since I've been lax in following the blogs I've subscribed to you may not ever see this. I'm about two weeks behind.

Your absence from Killer Fiction has been worrying. I kept you and your family in my thoughts and hoped for the best.

I'm glad the best has happened.

I'm sure this Thanksgiving will be especially meaningful.

May you and your family have many more of them.