Tuesday, November 23, 2010


Contest! Contest! See below how you can win an ARC for the first book in my Shadow Falls Series, Born at Midnight.



It’s my birthday and I’ll cry if I want to.

But I don’t want to. Nope, I’m not crying. As crazy as it sounds, birthdays don’t bother me. Well, not much anyway. No, I don’t like getting older, but as the cliché says, it beats the heck out of the alternative. Dying young just doesn’t appeal to me.

Besides . . . I don’t feel old. Don’t get me wrong, I have a few aches and pains that I didn’t have before. Body parts aren’t as perky as they once were, and there’s a few lines around my eyes that I didn’t have years ago, but I still don’t feel old. Not mentally.

I still want and love a lot of the same things I wanted and loved when I was in my twenties. I want to look better in a pair of jeans. I want a good bra. I want to laugh and lunch with girlfriends. I want my hubby to want to be beside me, to occasionally rock my world, and to enjoy spending time with me as much I enjoy spending time with him. I want my home to be comfortable and a good place to live. I want to have enough money to fulfill the needs and a few wants of myself and those I love. I want the people I love to be healthy and successful. I want to feel accomplished in my own career, and still experience the buzz that comes from being challenged. I want a good book to read with a happy ending.

Now I agree, that as I’ve aged, I’ve found myself wanting some things that maybe I didn’t think were so important when I was young. For example: Comfortable shoes. The younger Christie would have bought a pair of shoes on looks alone. If they matched an outfit perfectly, they were coming home with me. Now, I still want my shoes to look good, but honey, there is nobody I want to impress so badly that I’ll wear shoes that will hurt my tootsies.

And that bra that I wanted in my twenties? I used to want it to put the girls out there, now I want it to keep the girls up there. And speaking of the girls, and something I didn’t think about wanting in my twenties, I want someone to come up with an alternative method of doing a mammogram. I still believe if they had to put men’s boys in a vice grip and smash ‘em to check for testicular cancer, there would be an alternate method of annual exams. Yup, my birthday week included a mammogram. My tatas are good for another year. Have you gotten your mammogram?

I also agree that as we age, we acquire some wisdom. Here are a few things that I wish the younger Christie had known.

Don’t spend so much time obsessing about that extra five pounds, and spend more time appreciating and caring for the body you have. Chances are, you’ll look back and wish you looked that good again.

Be particular who you allow into your life. Some people don’t deserve you.

Don’t be afraid of change, instead be scared shitless of becoming stagnate.

Don’t let anyone make you a victim; it can take years to see yourself as anything but one if you do.

Don’t beat yourself up about the mistakes you make, but always learn from them.

No matter how worn out you feel as a new mom, savor those moments because they will turn out to be some of your favorite memories.

When your kids hit the teen years, just remember this too will pass.

Spend time talking with your older relatives; once they’re gone, you’ll wish you did.

Whenever you think you’re too old for something, think again. You’ll never get any younger.

If you can do the splits and cartwheels, don’t stop doing them just because. You’ll wish you could still do them in fifteen years.

Okay…so there you have it, my thoughts on birthdays, aging, along with some bits of wisdom. What about you guys? Any bits of wisdom you’d like to share? Complaints about mammograms or getting older? Come on, let’s have some fun today.


Now about that contest? To win a copy of Born at Midnight, pop over to http://www.cchunterbooks.com/ and join my newsletter and then post a comment on my blog. On December 1st, I’ll be giving away an ARC, an advanced reader copy of the book. And then come back in two weeks, on December 7th, to Killer Fiction because I’m going to host another contest and give away another ARC.

41 comments:

Robin Kaye said...

Happy Birthday Christie!

What great words of wisdom. I'm going to have my kids read this today.

Words of wisdom: Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy or you can choose to be miserable. Happiness is always better!

krisgils33 said...

Happy Birthday! Mine is coming up in a couple of weeks and I rarely let it bother me, although I was a bit astounded when I was told this one would put me into "middle age". Never thought about it like that (mostly I was thinking I was already there), but perhaps I should go out and get me a cherry red 'vette, right? And yes, I can still do both a split and a cartwheel.

Terri Osburn said...

What brilliance you're throwing our way today. And Happy Birthday to you.

All of this is so true, and for me, the one thing I want now I didn't want in my 20s is to be you. :) Seriously.

My words of wisdom are two fold. Karma is real, so be sure to put out only what you want back. And positive thinking will take you anywhere you want to go. I'm living proof, trust me.

J.A. Souders said...

Happy Birthday!! And great advice. I wish I would have known some of those things when I was younger. :D Also, that cover ROCKS!!

Christie Craig said...

Hi Robin,

Thanks girl. And I love you bit of wisdom. So true. Thanks for popping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Hi Krisgils33,

And happy early birthday. I like the idea of the 'vette. And girl, keep on doing those splits and cartwheels.

Thanks for stopping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Terri,

You've heard...be careful what you wish for. LOL.

And girl, I'm a big believer in Krama. Thanks so much for taking the time to visit me. It means more than you know.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Jasouders,

Thanks for dropping by and for the birthday wishes. And I love my cover, too. Can't wait for it to be released.

CC

Edie Ramer said...

Happy Birthday! You summed up all the things I felt on my birthday, plus a few I haven't thought of but that I should have. And I'm so there with on comfortable shoes.

Anonymous said...

Christie. Great post. I feel the exact same about aging. ;) It reminded me of a fav quote

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson

Christie Craig said...

Hi Edie,

Yup, give me comfortable shoes. I bought two pairs for my birthday, too. Both are like walking on air.

Thanks for stopping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Chapmansmythe,

Thanks! And Thomas was a smart man!!! You have to believe in yourself.

Thanks for stopping in.

CC

Colleen Thompson said...

Happy birthday, Christie! Enjoy the All About Me Decade! (Hey, I can dream!)

Zita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zita said...

Happy birthday to yoooooou! Haaaappy birthdaaaay to yeeeeeew! Haaaaappy biiiiirthday dear Christiiiieee, haaaaapppy birrrrrthdaaaaay to youououououou! (and many moooooore!) *jazz hands*

Laurie Smith said...

Hey Christie,
Hope your day was great!! I celebrated my big 49 and holding bday this past Sat., I have decided to challenge myself this year to lose 100 lbs before I hit the big 5-0.
Thanks for putting the old aging thing in perspective for me. I realized after reading what you wrote, I will always still act crazy,silly,goofy no matter what age I am. Life is short eat dessert first.
Love ya! Your book pimping friend Laurie

Terri Osburn said...

I forgot to ask, kiddo is 11 and really into the middle grade stuff. I'm guessing this book might be too much for her just yet? (Not that I won't try to winj/buy it and keep it until she's ready, just asking.)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Christie!!!!

Great words of wisdom!!!

Suzan Harden said...

Happy Birthday, girl!

Age is just a number--so says the woman who's currently taken over the living room floor to sort her comic book collection.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Colleen!

Thanks girl. Yeah, we can dream and we should never stop either. Good luck on all those deadlines.

CC

Suzan Harden said...

P.S. Don't enter me in the contest since I've already read Born at Midnight.

(Very good book, folks! You'll love it!)

Christie Craig said...

Hi Zita,

Thanks so much! Nothing like being serenaded.

Have a great day.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Hi Laurie,

That's a good goal, girl, a big one. But just don't forget to enjoy life on the journey. That's another bit of wisdom. Whatever our goals are, make sure you'll enjoy the journey getting there as much as you enjoy the destination, because if you don't, you probably won't make it.

Thanks for stopping in. And Happy Birthday to you.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Terri,

I tell people if you allow your child to read Twilight, and books like Alyson Noel writes, then my book is written in the same vein.

I don't pretend sex doesn't exist in my YA, but one of the underlined messages in the book is that we shouldn't fall prey to peer pressure.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Tess,

Thanks so much!

Have a great week.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Ahh, Suzan,

You are indeed a smile a minute!!! Enjoy your comic books. And thanks for the praise on BAM.

CC

Terri Osburn said...

Thanks for the response. She hasn't read the Twilight books, but she loves the movies. I think she'd love this too. Throwing it on her Christmas list.

Francyne said...

What I wished for when I was 16 and have realized I'm okay without:
Big Boobs - Those babes are hard to carry around
Small feet - Shoes are hard to find
White teeth - Mine chew my food just fine
What I had and appreciated:
My mom
My dad
A great extended family
Good kids
What I have and appreciate:
A good husband with a great sense of humor
A good life
I'm one of those eternal optimists. Every day, when I brush my teeth, I'm the most surprised person in the world. An eighteen-year-old isn't looking back at me from the mirror. Well, shoot!

Christie Craig said...

Francyne,

Amen sister, on the big boobs and small feet. LOL. And I know what you mean about the woman in the mirror not being eighteen.

Thanks for dropping in.

CC

Sandy said...

Happy Birthday, Christie. I hope you're having a great day.

I wish when I was younger I hadn't been so hard on my body because I'm paying for it now.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Sandy,

Thanks!!

Yup, taking care of ourselves is a the big investment in our futures. It's not always easy, but it's worthy it. And it's never too late to start either.

Thanks for stopping in.


CC

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Happy Birthday, Christie!!! :)

Donna Marie Rogers said...

Happy Birthday, Christie! I hope you had an amazing day!

You're incredibly insightful and wise. This post was such fun to read...but then, everything you write is. :-)

And thank you for the mammogram reminder! I received a letter from my doctor last week reminding me to reschedule, and I had forgotten.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Cassy Campbell said...

Christie, great post! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy it for myself and take it out when I need a bit of inspiration!

I agree with you about the not feeling your age part. I think we should get to say we're as old as we feel, and our actual age could be something like 'wisdom years'. For instance, I'm 22 years old, but I have 40 wisdom years. Then people would want to gain more wisdom years, but never have to age!

Happy birthday and congratulations on gaining more wisdom years!

MiaMarlowe said...

Happy Birthday, Christie! Did you know you share your special day with CL Wilson?

Hope it was a fabulous day!

Christie Craig said...

Hi Stacey,

Thanks!

It's been an week.

And thanks for stopping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Hi Donna,

Thanks. I try to be wise, it's not always easy. LOL. And go get your girl's taken care of. It's not fun, but I love hearing the survival rate on breast cancer now.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Cassy,

I agree with your way of telling our age. Those wisdom years are important, too.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Thanks so much for joining us.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Hi Mia,

Thanks for stopping in. I'll have to give a shout out to Cheryl.

Have a great Turkey Day.

CC

Michelle M. said...

I'm late with the happy birthday, but I was busy on the 23rd celebrating my own 50th!!

Christie Craig said...

Congrats, girl!!

We're hanging in there, aren't we?

CC