Monday, March 09, 2009

Stupid Service

Sorry for the delay, guys. Time change got the best of me. :)

Today, I'm going to talk about stupid service, meaning stupid things said or done by a service professional. Now, before I start, I want you to know that I have nothing against waitresses, in fact, I have a really good friend that is one, but two stories that came to mind just happened to fall in that profession.

The first was at one of those Mexican restuarants where you do buffet and the server brings you drinks and sophapillas. So she stops at the table, takes the drink orders then the following conversation ensues:

Server: Would you like the sophapillas now or after your meal?
Me: After the meal for me. I like them when they're hot.
Server: They're hot now.
Me: (eye blink) After will be fine.

Second, I was in a restuarant in a small Texas town, traveling for business, and reading for one of my author friends. The waitress stops and asks if I am a teacher. I explain I am a writer and I'm reading a friend's work. She then proceeds to tell me that she is writing a book. The following conversation ensues:

Me: What kind of book is it?
Her: It's a story about a girl.
Me: Okkkkkaaaayyyyy. What genre?
Her: (blank stare)
Me: You know, horror, fantasy, romance, science fiction.....
Her: (white light dawning) Oh. (light dims) It's a story about a girl.
Me: (don't have a word to say)
Her: So how do I get it published?
Me: First thing you need to do is find a writer's group to join because that's a huge question and being in a writer's group allows you to ask them as they arise.
Her: So I should look in the Yellow Pages?
Me: Probably not. Try looking online.
Her: On what line?
Me: The internet.
Her: Oh, I don't know how to do that. I don't even have a computer. I'm writing mine in a notebook.
Me: Well, that's a good place to start. All publishing is done with computers now, so start thinking of a way you can get one and learn how to use it.
Her: (long pause) What I really want to know is how many pages your friend has. I've got three.
Me: (wishing I wasn't in a family restuarant, in a dry town, but knowing there's a CVS next door and it probably has cough medicine)

Any stories you'd like to share?

Deadly DeLeon

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I've had any loony conversations like that I've blocked them from my memory.

But now I'm really, really craving sopapillas. *sigh* Thanks so much. *g*

Terri Osburn said...

I'm sure I've had many of these, but one with a waitress comes to mind. I was eating in a hotel restaurant before a meeting to discuss my company holding our holiday party there. On my salad I found a dead bug. So I pointed it out to the waitress. She looked surprised and took the leaf, but left the salad. I couldn't believe it. She really thought I was going to finish it. She came back a few minutes later to ask if I was finished with the salad. Then didn't offer to take one penny off my bill.

Needless to say, I did not book that place for our holiday party.

Christie Craig said...

Ahh Jana,

I love these stories.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had the hardest time explaining the waitress that I wanted a side of vegetables. She kept saying..."It doesn't come wiht that."

I kept saying, "That's fine I'll pay for it."

"It was as if no one had ever ordered a side order of anything."

Ahh, but I used to be a waitress and I can tell you that they go home every day with stories about idiot customers.

CC

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL tori - so am I. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

terrio - how appalling!!!! I am sometimes still dismayed at how bad service is at some places.

Jana DeLeon said...

Christie - I'm sure they do! Your story reminds me of the night I wanted to add shrimp to my order at Benihana, effectively making it something they serve for lunch. The waiter was practically yelling at me that I couldn't order "lunch" at supper. Finally, I said "do you have shrimp? If so, I don't care what it costs - I want them." He finally went away and I looked at the rest of the table (strangers, of course) and said "was that me?"

The ones who weren't rolling laughing took the time to tell me that it was definitely him. :)

Terry S said...

Those were hilarious! Think of those servers as a perk. You know, unpaid entertainment for the customers.

I wonder sometimes what people are using their brains for since it's obviously not for thinking. Nothing beats real life comedy!