Thursday, March 12, 2009

An office makeover...now no more excuses


As many of you know, I've been on a bit of a home improvement binge lately. Painting, carpeting, chair rail and moulding. You name it and I've done it. Several weeks ago I blogged about getting a 'wild hair' one Sunday afternoon when I decided to switch my bedroom and office around. Since then, little by little, I've been trying to sort through stacks of paperwork, old files (both paper and computer) and organize my new office into an efficient working/writing environment. While I'm not quite there yet, I figured it was safe enough to show you what I've been up to.

I have to admit, I love having more space to spread out in. Between college courses and writing, I spend a considerable amount of time in my office so having an area where I can remain relatively organized (somewhat of a challenge for yours truly) and where I comfortably sit and read or edit hard copy was something I really wanted to try and incorporate into my new digs.


You'll notice while I do have a CD player in my office, I don't have a TV there. In fact, the only room I watch TV in is the living room. There's a reason for that: Less temptation and less distraction that way.
Alas, now I find myself with no more excuses for not writing up a storm. Well, it's not as easy to find excuses now.

So yesterday once I finished a paper for class, I decided to get down to business--the businesss of writing. And with the new office environment, came a new energy and enthusiasm. It's a good thing, too. I'm working on FOUR different projects at present with no idea which one (or ones!) will take off next. Yesterday I spent the day retooling a manuscript I wrote many years ago and didn't get to bed until 2:30 this morning. (The reason I'm late posting.) Today I plan to work on the children's book my son and I are collaborating on. Tomorrow I work, but Saturday I'll be tackling final revisions on my hard-boiled series.

And there is that Power Point presentation for Ethics class to work on.

Good thing I don't have any more excuses for not being productive.

So, what do you of the new digs? I still need to get more pictures put up and find something to stick in that sad little empty corner by the window. Any ideas? (No plant suggestions, please--I SO don't have a green thumb.)

And you probably can't see it in the picture, but there is a Cadbury Creme Egg sitting on the base of my computer monitor.

It's called your basic 'motivation'...

Have a wonderful rest of the week, ya'll!

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

13 comments:

Terry S said...

I love how light the room is. That would do it for me even if the room just contained a chair to sit on and a table for the computer. It looks like you accomplished your goal when you switched rooms for your office.

The love seat is a perfect match for the room, too. Did you ever find that missing leg?

Happy writing in your newly redecorated room! Here's to much success in your new environment no matter the subject matter you are writing.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Terry! The southern exposure was one compelling reason for the room switch. My mood and attitude--and subsequently productivity--are always much improved when I'm working in an area with lots of natural lighting.

I ended up giving the kids the new-used loveseat (it was comfier) and moved the one from the TV room to my office. And no. The mystery of the missing leg was never solved, but I ended up finding one at the local furniture store.

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

I love the new office! It looks fab! I miss having a separate office space.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Tori! Now that I'm finally able to use it, I realize it was well worth all that fuss. Now, if only it yields results...

~Bullet Hole~

Terri Osburn said...

This looks wonderful. Good to hear the new environment is really paying off.

I recently turned my dining room into an office, but I've only just begun. It still sort of looks like a dining room with a desk against the wall. LOL! Like most everything else in my life, it's a work-in-progress.

But it feels *right* if you know what I mean. It's not always what it looks like or what's in it, but how it feels. Sounds like you got the feel right.

PS: I've been gathering info for that major project I mentioned yesterday. I had to pick a major corporation to use and I chose Hershey. It seemed fitting for this chocoholic. LOL!

Gemma Halliday said...

I love it! The curtains look so regal. No suggestions for your bare corner, though. All I can think are fill it with books.

~Gemma

Kathy Bacus said...

You're absolutely right, Terrio. It's more feeling over furnishings when it comes to creating a home office environment in which to be productive. Functionality is also a biggie for me. I like having everything I need handy lots of work space close by. Sometimes all it takes to get energized again is a change in surroundings.

I wrote several books in my garage office during the warmer months and may transition back out there when the weather warms up. It's wonderfully quiet out there.

LOL! Hershey sounds like the ideal corporation to use for your project. Or any project for that matter!

Good luck!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

There is a huge five shelf bookcase on the inside wall that isn't seen in the pictures, Gemma, so believe me, books are very well represented. I use it mainly for research and reference books and binders for wips.

I'm wondering if a fake plant will work for that corner. At least I couldn't kill it.

~Bullet Hole~

Blinky St. James said...

What about a lamp for your corner? A fancy one could be a sort of corner decoration. :P

Kathy Bacus said...

Good idea, Blinky!I really could use the light in that corner. I have an older lamp in the opposite corner, so maybe I'll look for a nice (cheap)matching pair of lamps to finish things off.

~Bullet Hole~

Bookmobiler said...

"No plant suggestions, please"

"I'm wondering if a fake plant will work for that corner. At least I couldn't kill it."

I was going to suggest a cutting from that alien plant from your back yard.

Kathy Bacus said...

Hmmm. Maybe you have a point, Bookmobiler. Despite an obvious lack of grief on my part if it did happen to expire--that particularly ug-lee foliage seems to thrive no matter how many times I run over it with a mower.

I'll think about it...

~Bullet Hole~

RM Kahn said...

I am in the process of revamping our home office and while it has become tedious (waiting for my husband to get his stuff picked up) it has been a great source of renewed writing energy. Is that a closet behind and to the right of your desk? How about new closet doors with mirrors or different door style?

Enjoy your new space!