Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Sweet Mystery of Life, At Last I Found You!






Look at me in my sweet ride!

Okay, I'm dreaming. I don't have 60K to buy this #$*!*# GORGEOUS corvette, but a girl can dream. . .right? After all - it's a two-seater and I have kids so they wouldn't be able to ride with me. Wait, maybe that's not an arguement against getting the corvette. . . ("Oops! Sorry kids! You can't go with me! No room for you!")


So, yesterday one of the local car dealer's had me for lunch for their book club discussion of my book, GUNS WILL KEEP US TOGETHER. It's a mix of people from the various departments of the dearlership and one guy from the service department named Dick. He loves my books and doesn't mind the crap the other mechanics give him for reading romance. I think he may be my favorite fan.
Anyway, I love meeting with this group because 1) they buy me lunch - and if there's anything I've learned in my 40 years - it's that free food tastes better, and (maybe even more importantly) 2) they love my books.


My friend Laura is a member of the group and they do of my books, sandwhiched in between heavier fare like The Kite Runner and I'm sure Macbeth. They always have fun questions for me and one of the women, Jeanine, even told me she read GUNS three times in a row. Damn. I should have a prize for stuff like that.
Dick told me he loved my references to Doc Savage and the squibs from Mystery Men and Monty Python. Sigh. Isn't he adorable? And when I told them Laura was going to take my picture in the orange corvette when we were done, Dick said, "Hell, let's take her down to the service bay and put her in a Porsche." I really, really like fans like that.


The meeting ended with me in the Corvette. I have a thing for orange and there's something about muscle cars. I always ask myself, "Would Steve McQueen drive it?" After all, I have to have my standards. Let's not forget that the car goes beautifully with my orange Cole Haan handbag and orange enV phone! Accessories are sooooo important.


Well, if people like Dick and Jeanine keep reading my books, maybe someday I'll be able to afford it. Hopefully, in that advanced age (whatever that may be) I'll still look fabulous in it.
Isn't delusion great?


The Assassin

11 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Leslie,

That is so cool. What a great place to have a book club. And you look good in that car, too. Go ahead, swing for it. I'm sure your hubby would understand, right? :-)

Crime Scene Christie

Terri Osburn said...

I love muscle cars. Note - I was going to type "I love Dick" but decided against it. :)

That group sounds like loads of fun. My dad is a gear head so cars have always been a part of my life.

I'm glad more people are catching onto these books. They are so fun! So, when do we get Coney's book again? LOL!

Anonymous said...

That IS cool! I never would have dreamed of a car dealership having their own book club. And you look marvelous in that Corvette! :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun looking ride!! And I think it's fabulous you like orange :)

Hellie Sinclair said...

These guys rock! (Though I am hoping I'm like your #2 favorite fan, or maybe in the top five. I mean, I can't compete with the car bit...I have hooked nearly all my friends on the series. Some don't read, poor illiterate things.)

And yes, definitely buy the car when you're able. Chalk it up to research.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it wont be that long before you can afford the car.
The trick will be earning enough to pay for the gas!
:(

Leslie Langtry said...

You guys have given me some ideas...hmmmm. I've no idea when Coney's book comes out - maybe '09? And the corvette as research...I gotta work on that one. Yes, Hellion, you can fight it out with my mom for #2.

Keri Ford said...

You know, if you buy the car for research, then you get to file off on your taxes :O)

Jenyfer Matthews said...

You too can own a Corvette - if you buy one used. My stepmother bought one a couple of years ago. She lives in extreme northern MN so she can only drive it in the summertime, but she thinks it's worth it :)

Leslie Langtry said...

I keep hearing the refrain "Dream on!" from Aerosmith in my head. Well, Aerosmith isn't really in my head.

Or are they?

Terri Osburn said...

If they are they are either armed or about to be Vics. LOL!

You need to look into those cars the government is always selling that have been confiscated. I bet you could get a great deal on a Vette there.