Sunday, April 13, 2008

Romantic Movies

I am a total sap. I cry at movies all the time. All. The. Time. For a while I tried to hide it. “There’s something in my eye.” “I just smelled onions.” “I’m tearing up because there’s popcorn stuck in my teeth.” Um, yeah, I never said I was a good liar. So, at some point, I decided to embrace my sappiness. “Hi, I’m Gemma and I cry at movies.” And it isn’t the heart wrenching dramas that get me either. It’s the love stories. I’m such a sucker for a happy ending. Tom Hanks plus Meg Ryan equals box of tissues in my world. For me, there is nothing more moving than that one perfect on-screen kiss that makes even the most jaded single gal who has just been on more dates than she can count believe in true love. So, in the spirit of renewing my love of love, here are some of my favorite romantic movies. (grabbing my tissue box…)

Love Actually
There are so many heartbreaking sweet moments in this movie, but the love story between Jamie and Aurelia has me in tears every time I see it.



Walk the Line
What part of this movie doesn’t make me cry! Both Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix are just awesome in this, and that it’s a true story of enduring love makes it all the more inspiring. (Long clip, but my favorite part of the movie. Come on, get teary with me, you know you wanna.)



My Big Fat Greek Wedding
For any girl that’s ever gone through an awkward phase, we all dream of a guy like Ian coming along and loving us anyway – even with our crazy families! (Clip’s not great quality, but I got choked up watching it anyway.)



and one of my favorite movie moments of all time from…
The Wedding Singer
I just love this song! It sums up everything I really want in a guy. If a man lets you hold the remote control, you know he’s truly in love.



So, what are your favorite romantic on-screen moments? (Don't worry, I'll share my tissues...)

~Trigger Happy (and a little sappy) Halliday

10 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Gemma,

My favorite RC is While You Were Sleeping. I cry everytime I see it. Thanks for the great post.

CC

catslady said...

My favorite is Forever Young (an old Mel Gibson movie) - has humor but makes me cry every time.

Gemma Halliday said...

Oh, I love that one, CC! Isn't Bill Pullman adorable in it?

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

Early Mel Gibson... yum... ;)

~Gemma

Anonymous said...

Is it sad that I prefer action/adventure movies to romantic ones? Oh! Hey, I just thought of one that combines the two. Romancing the Stone. :)

Lucy said...

I love When Harry Met Sally. And I'm with you on the Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks combo. (As I type this, You've Got Mail is on TV. :) )

Oh but best scene, I love the scene from Regarding Henry when Annette Benning's (sp?) character opens the door to Harrison Ford's character and HF's character asks her for a date (I think) and tells her he knows this great blow-fish place. I know it's coming but it gets me every time. I really like that movie too!

Keri Ford said...

not much of a movie cryer, but I have noticed since I had the baby, I get more emotional when something really emotional happens on during a movie/tv series. it can be over anything really. funeral, love, birth. Old re-run of Coupling was one a few days ago and two of the main characters breaking-up had me sniffing heavy. Sad, because it was a rerun and I already know they get back together and get pregnant.

on of me fav romance movie: The American President with Michael Douglas and Annette Benning. (don't quote me on those spellings!)

Shelley Munro said...

Love Actually is my favorite movie. There are so many great moments, and I drag it out every Christmas to watch it again. It's my Christmas movie. :)

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I have a lot of fav girl movies but I have to admit I rarely cry at the happy movies. It's things like Bridges of Madison County and English Patient that do it for me.

And yes, in spite of the endings on those two, I've watched (and sniffled through) them more than once!

Hellie Sinclair said...

The train scene from North & South (2004) with Richard Armitage. If that man didn't save the train industry with that kiss alone, it couldn't be saved...