Sunday, April 20, 2008

The high cost of making memories...


A week ago I blogged on Prom Night. Last night was the prom. It was my last prom—my youngest, the triplets, being seniors. Yep. My babies are all grown up. Sniff. Sniff.
Now I knew the cost of financing a girl for prom was staggering. You have the tanning sessions, the hair, the dress, the makeup, but since my son had opted not to attend prom as a junior last year, I was totally unprepared for how much the cost of renting a tuxedo for three freaking hours would be. How much you ask? One hundred twenty five smackaroos! That’s how much! Give me a break! That’s like forty dollars an hour! Let's put that in terms folks here at Killer Fiction will appreciate:
  • That money investment represents 25 new mass market paperbacks I could add to my to-be-read pile.
  • Or an equal number of tall French Vanilla Cappuccinos.
  • Or a week’s worth of groceries (even considering the recent price hikes) or a week’s worth of eating out!!!
  • Two tanks of gas in my Jimmy.
  • Three months fitness club membership.
  • A premium car detailing.
  • A new push mower.
  • And finally, a night at a really nice hotel. (which is vastly appealing right about now)
My son, not surprisingly, has a different take on how that prom night moolah might have alternatively been spent:
  • Two new video game for Wii or Play Station 3.
  • Some really cool jeans.
  • One way air fare to Orlando.
  • A fancy new portfolio for his art work.
Still, a high school prom is a once in a lifetime experience. How can you place a price on that?
I’m wondering, though. If you had an extra hundred bucks to blow any way you like, how would you spend it?
Nosy Nellie here wants to know.
Have a great Sunday!
~Bullet Hole who thinks an afternoon nap sounds very appealing~

15 comments:

Lucy said...

A full body massage and some books!

Hopefully the boys had a good time.

Kathy Bacus said...

Ooo, a full body massage is a great idea, Lucy! I forgot about the whole spa treatment.

The boy is still abed. Wonder if that means he had a good time??

~Bullet Hole~

Wendy Roberts said...

Books. Always books. :)

Kathy Bacus said...

Great minds think alike, Wendy. Books were number one on my list, too!

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

That's roughly the cost of taking my twin nieces whale watching out of Gloucester. MA.
That's not counting feeding them though!

Kathy Bacus said...

Whale watching! Now that's a cool way to spend money--and time--bookmobiler. And I trust you're talking about the cost of feeding the nieces here--not the whales!

;)

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

There;s not that much difference in volume between what two eleven year old girls and one whale can eat. And of course the twins stay rail thin. Go figure!

Christie Craig said...

Let's see. The massage sounds good. Oh, a trip to Italy. Yup. Or maybe time. More time to read, write, enjoy my family, friends, to laugh at silly things, and to love on my pets.

Great post.

Crime Scene Christie

Amanda Stevens said...

Kathy--I couldn't help smiling about dressing triplets for the prom. My twins are seniors in college this year. I haven't had extra $$$ in so long, I don't know what I'd do with a $100 windfall. Just look at it, maybe.

Kathy Bacus said...

It would be cool if we could buy free time with our green, wouldn't it, Christie?

At least I remembered to return the tux today so I didn't rack up any late charges.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

At least you're at the end of the college experience for your twins, Amanda. I've still got four years ahead of me.

And naturally, none of the three wants to go to the same school. I think they figure they've had enough togetherness. Just curious. Did your twins attend the same college/university?

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

Kathy--They not only attend the same university, this year they're living together in the same house with two other roommates.

One of them is a film major, the other an advertising major and recently they've been helping each other out on their final projects. My daughter is directing a book video for Disney (yeah, don't think I'm not going to take advantage of that expertise) and my son is shooting it for her. He's directing a short film for his thesis class, and she produced it for him.

I've been kind of amazed at how close they've remained through the college years, although the first two were kind of rocky. Now they're talking about going into business together at some point.

Kathy Bacus said...

Oh my goodness, Amanda! You have an in-house professional marketing team going there! I'm a particularly unflattering shade of green here. I really can't complain, though. My son designed my website and does my updates.

And how wonderful your twins are at that point where they can peacefully coexist. When I suggested my girls room together, they looked like I'd just suggested they get their heads shaved. After eighteen years I think they feel like they need a little space and I guess I can understand that. They're all three really close, however. I just think it's harder for a girl to have a sister the same age than it is for a boy to have a brother the same age.

Congrats on getting them all the way through college! That's an achievement you--and they--can be proud of.

Best,

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kathy. One more month and then I can take a deep breath.

I wouldn't trade a minute of it, though, and I'm sure you feel the same way.