Thursday, December 23, 2010

Before the Year Ends

Thought I'd recap my year for myself. Oh yeah, feel free to read on! Wait. I've run out of time to recap an entire year and this year is not over yet. Thank goodness! My birthday still hasn't come for 2010. Then again, maybe I shouldn't wish it would ever get here. There's that issue of...age...aging. Eeks.

Age. Hm. To me, let me say, at my age, it doesn't matter one hoot. As a matter of fact, last year my cousin sent me a note saying "Happy X birthday." (You've got to be kidding if you think I'm filling in the value of X.) And I said, "Thanks, but I am only Y." (Thinking I was a year older than I actually was.) She said, "No, your sister is Y and you are not twins." That much I knew. My sister is eighteen months older.

Yet, I thought I was the age that she actually was. Of course, my cousin said, "The mind is the first to go," and we had a good laugh. But, it kinda proved to me that age doesn't' really matter--to me.

I think once we are past 40, it all kinda blends in until maybe...80ish. Yes, I said 80. Eighty is the new ninety IMHO. My aunt is 96 and lives alone and has never had surgery or been hospitalized except to have her kids way back when. My other aunt is 91 and doesn't even wear glasses to read! My mother is nearly 89 (Jan) and still drives as does the 91 year old. So, it kinda makes me think that age doesn't matter as long as we are healthy and our minds don't go out of whack. You see it everyday when Willard Scott announces the Smucker's ages on TV. It used to be rare to see a 100 year old and now most ALL of them are that golden age.

Kudos to modern medicine, eating healthy, and staying active ( a key ingredient.)

Moral of this post: I decided I want to live to be 100........

Age schmage.

That's why I date a guy 9 years younger! LOL

6 comments:

Gemma Halliday said...

Happy Soon-to-be-Birthday!

For the past 4 years I've celebrated my 29th birthday. I think my 10-year-old son might be catching on...

~Gemma

Kathy Bacus said...

Happy X, Y, or Z birthday, Lori! And yeah. I keep telling myself age is relative.

Of course, it's also relatives that keep reminding me of the exact number of birthdays I've celebrated. :)

And the younger man? You go, girl!

Robin Kaye said...

Happy Birthday, Lori! I'm a true believer that age is only relative. Most of my good friends are young enough to be my children. Go figure. It was kind of weird when I first realized that I was just out of high school when most of them were born, but other than that, it doesn't seem to impact the relationships much.

Lori Avocato said...

LOL Gemma. Sigh. I can't even remember 29 or to SAY I am still 29!

Lori Avocato said...

Oh, don't pay attention to those relatives! Yeah on the younger guy until I realize he was only 11 when I graduated from high school! LOL

Lori Avocato said...

Robin,

Good for you. I, too, have lots of younger friends. I could be their mother but they don't seem to treat me that way. Then again, who knows what they say behind my back. Literally behind my back since my hearing isn't what it used to be! LOL