Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Attack of the zombie poodles

A few days ago, I let my six-year-old daughter watch Night At The Museum for the first time. She was really enjoying it, but about half-way through, she turned to me and said, "You know, mom, it would be more interesting if there were creatures trying to eat Ben Stiller."

I was so proud. And I had to agree with her. So for the rest of the movie, she started suggesting zombies in the Egyptian exhibit ("Mummies would be too predictable"), undead cowboys in the Wild West exhibit and werewolves throughout.

"Werewolves go good anywhere," she claimed. Frankly, I found it hard to argue with that.

I shouldn't have been totally surprised. After all, this is the first grader who, when asked to draw her family at the start of this school year, included a werewolf. And being the exemplary parent that I am (seeing as we were hitting up against bedtime on a school night), I told her to just tell her teacher it was a dog.

It's times like these when I wonder if my career as a paranormal romance/mystery writer hasn't influenced the child just a bit. She still wants to be a cashier when she grows up (hopefully somewhere where mommy can enjoy the employee discount) but it's amazing what she picks up just from hearing me talk to my writing friends on the phone.

Or perhaps it's in the blood.

On the way out the door to school this morning, she hugged our dog and then me (in that order) and said, she had a new book idea for me. Zombie poodles. I'll let you know how it goes.

9 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Zombie poodles. I love it. It works for me. I think our jobs and personalities always rub off on our kids. I used to just be about romance, not I'm in to vampires and stuff. My daughter didn't read paranormal, but I think I'm changing her.

Great post.

CC

Angie Fox said...

Yes, well the more I think about it, zombie poodles could be quite lethal. You'd have to wear medieval-style armor from the waist down. Those dogs can jump.

Plus, they're so furry and cute you know they'd lure the unsuspecting.

Zita said...

Oooo, zombie poodles. I like it. But how would you tell them apart from the living poodles?

Terri Osburn said...

I'd go with zombie chihuahuas, but that's just me. I'm loving your daughter's imagination. Worried, but loving it.

My daughter used to want to be a Sonic worker, but now she's in middle school and it's changed to something that can make her lots of money. And if she could be famous too, that would be awesome.

*sigh*

Angie Fox said...

See, I'm thinking that's the challenge. Poodles are cute, even zombie poodles. That's how they get you.

Angie Fox said...

I like how you think, Terri. That could be the sequel: zombie chihuahuas.

And I think my mom's favorite job I ever held was when I worked at Target in high school. She loved that 10% employee discount.

Suzan Harden said...

Well, Zita, the zombie poodles would have red eyes and sharp little teeth and-

Wait. You're right. How would we tell the difference between the live poodles and the undead ones?

Tori Lennox said...

I love your daughter's imagination!!! :)

Angie Fox said...

...ready to attack your ankles with bloodthirsty zeal. Yep. Just like regular poodles.

Our poodle, Moxie, is staring at me as I type this. She knows.