Wednesday, August 25, 2010

OMG! OMG! OMG!



Today was the release day of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins! I'm a HUGE fan of the Hunger Games trilogy and have beey dying to read this. It's going to be my reward tonight for writing this blog and calling all my girl scouts about a meeting Saturday (which, by the way, I'd rather have a facial with a diamond sander than do).


If you haven't read The Hunger Games or Catching Fire, drop everything and do it.

Go ahead. I'll wait. It's okay.

Forget work...I'll write you a pass. The kids can feed themselves. And if your pets are like mine, they can live off their own body fat for a while.

I loved Harry Potter (and loathed Twilight) but this is better. I think I read the whole first book in one sitting, then recommended it to my friends who have now all become addicted (It is not necessary to thank me...you know who you are).

But I was never this way with a series before. If my city had a midnight release party, I would've been there in costume, with face paint, dragging my bow. And I would've been there with all the other 40-something women I saw today as I raced across town over my lunch hour to get the book.

I WASTED AWAY waiting for Catching Fire, finished it in one night and thought I was actually going to DIE waiting for Mockingjay. But now it's here. And I am happy. Unless Michele finishes it before me. Then I'll be seriously bummed.


I will not get any sleep tonight.


The Assassin

7 comments:

Zita said...

Well, it's good to know you've maintained your enthusiasm for reading. O_o

Leslie Langtry said...

I read a lot. More than I used to. Sadly, I barely made 100 pages last night. I just can't stay awake like I used to!

krisgils33 said...

Like you I like HP and hate Twilight.

Leslie Langtry said...

Thank you! I find so many people who love Twilight. I think they love the Cullens. I love the Cullens, just not the books. And I just want to smack Bella. But that may just be me.

krisgils33 said...

I can see the appeal for the tweens and a bit older, but for the rest of us?

Leslie Langtry said...

There are "Cougars for Twilight." Believe it or not.

Hellie Sinclair said...

I prefer HP--it can do no wrong *LOL*--but Twilight has eventually grown on me. (Mostly because of Jacob, who is my favorite character.) I'm not sure anyone likes Bella. She is the whiniest character in literary history, I think.

Funnily enough, there is a graduate student in my department that teaches an English Education course, and she asked the students (who'd probably be juniors) to name a great book and over half the class listed Twilight.

*insert groan*

But my wiley instructor was ahead of them. She had taken scenes and paragraphs out of Twilight, stuck them on a SMARTBOARD, and showed them just how poorly written Twilight actually was. That there is a difference between a compelling story (which she gave them) and a great book.

I think the students were still arguing with her, but the exercise alone makes me laugh.