Friday, July 03, 2009

Sharing

Big news this week in the Halliday household. Mr. Big is moving in. :O

While I’m super excited to have him here, especially with Junior (who still needs a name, by the way) on the way, this feels like a huge step. I’m going to admit something: I’ve never actually lived with a guy. Okay, well, once, when I was in my twenties, I dated a guy who was my roommate, but that was different. We had separate bedrooms, separate bathrooms, each with our own personal space. This time around, it’s actual living together – day in and day out in your face sharing. As much as I’m going to be happy to see him more, I’ve never been real good at sharing. Specifically, sharing a closet. Mine’s already bursting at the seams, I have no idea how I’m going to fit all his stuff in here. I’ve already gotten rid of four bags of shoes (sob) to make room for baby. Where on earth am I going to put a grown man’s stuff, too? And what if he snores? Or leaves hair in the sink? Or the toilet seat up? Or if I feel the need to stomp away after an argument and childishly say “I hate you and I’m going home now… oh wait, you’re at my home now, too. Crap.”

Taking a deep breath.

I know once he’s here, most of the worries will float away. But, for now, I feel like a kid at the sandbox. I know it’s so much more fun to share and play with the other kids… but my toys are so much nicer than theirs. What if they break mine?

Okay, off to reorganize closet…

In the meantime, I hope everyone has a very happy 4th! I think we’re picnicking on Saturday, then going to see fireworks Sunday. Anyone else have fun plans?



~Trigger Happy Halliday



P.S. My Surviving Conference workshop starts Monday, but there’s still time to sign up for anyone who a) is going and b) wants to know how to make the most out of their experience. I’ll be specifically concentrating on pitching and snagging editor/agent attention while at conference. (I sold my first book with an elevator pitch at the RWA conference!)

4 comments:

Estella said...

I am sure everything will work out fine. You will find enough space to put his stuff. Think positive!

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks, Estella!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

It'll be fun - like a really long sleepover. With lots of stuff stuff :) And just think of the man-stuff you can get him to do for you - like taking out the trash and stomping on spiders. Of course another pair of hands will be incredibly useful with Jr. comes along.

Always look on the bright side of life!

Christie Craig said...

Gemma,

Think of the potential blog ideas you'll get. SMILE.

CC