Sunday, July 26, 2009

Author Greg Logsted

Don’t you just love lazy Sundays? If every day of the week could be Sunday, I’d be a happy gal. Not very productive… but happy. Anyway, happy Sunday to all, and please join me in welcoming our special Sunday guest, Greg Logsted! He’s the author of the fabulous teen book for BOYS (a rare breed of book that we boy mamas need more of), called ALIBI JUNIOR HIGH. He’s also co-authored the Sisters 8 series for kids, which is just adorable. If you haven’t checked these books out, I highly recommend them, especially if you have kids. (Or are a big kid yourself!) So, take it away, Greg…



First of all thank you, Gemma, for letting me be a part of this blog.

I thought that today, since it’s summer and really nice outside, not to mention I just got back from the pool, I’d talk about the summer vacation novel. You know, the book you take with you on vacation. Picking out a vacation read sounds simple enough, right? But it’s not. This book requires a great deal of thought. It’s not something you just grab on the way out the door like an old umbrella. No, this is something you have to agonize about. Books can set a tone and, hey, this is your vacation, you want to make sure you have just the right tone.

Here are a few things to take into consideration. First of all, and this is a simple point but very important point indeed, it HAS to be a paperback (blatant product placement warning: unless of course you want to read my latest novel, ALIBI JUNIOR HIGH; that would be just about the only time it’s acceptable, even preferable, to read a hardcover during your summer vacation).

The paperback is perfect for vacations because vacations are supposed to be carefree. So go ahead, beat it up, turn down the corners, crack the spine, let the sun fade the cover, write down phone numbers and email addresses and doodle across the pages. By the end of your vacation it should look as relaxed as you feel.

Next you have to pick the right book, another task that requires the utmost care and consideration. It should be something fun. A vacation isn’t the time to read about someone’s breakup, a death in the family, missing children or war crimes. You want something light but deep enough to hold your attention. Ideally the novel should be something you can relate to; you want to be able to step into the shoes of your lead character.

Last year I read Replay by Ken Grimwood, an excellent time travel adventure. It’s sitting on my desk now and it LOOKS LIKE SUMMER, all beat up and weathered like my favorite pair of old jeans. The year before I read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen; it was a fun and quirky little adventure. I still remember, years ago, reading the hilarious A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole at a bamboo beach bar in Puerto Rico (try saying that five times fast).

August is almost upon us and once again it will soon be time for me to pick out my own summer vacation read. What will it be? As of right now I really don’t have a clue but I’ve started the agonizing process so here’s my opportunity to ask you all a question:

IS THERE ONE PERTICULAR BOOK YOU”VE READ WHILE ON VACATION THAT STANDS OUT HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST?

Let me know. Like I said I’m on the lookout for a good vacation book.

Greg Logsted
www.greglogsted.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and among the pile of books I'll bring with me are :
- Long Lost by Harlan Coben. I'm a huge Myron Bolitar fan so I needed to wait for the right time to read it !
- Love at first flight by Marie Force. A contemporary romance which sounds very promising.

Refhater said...

Welcome to KF!

No vacation until mid-September here. But, I'll be taking a couple of new releases with me when I go. I'm taking photography classes, so my class workbook will be in my suitcase.

Gemma Halliday said...

I LOVE Carl Hiaasen. One of my few auto-buy authors. “Skinny Dip” was a perfect vacation read. I just finished our own Leslie Langtry’s “I Shot You Babe”, and if you haven’t read that one yet, you must. So funny and really fast paced. I couldn’t put it down!

~Gemma

greg logsted said...

Gemma,

I'd put "I shot you babe" on my list just because of the title. Haven't a clue what it's about but loving the title.