Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Honey! I'm Home!




SFRWA is over and I had a great time that could only have been better if Jana and Kathleen were there! The workshop Gemma, Christie and I did with Leah and Eve went very well considering it was 8:30 a.m., we stayed up late the night before and Gemma had a concussion. But the show must go on.


Leah had four questions (although, technically that first one counted as about seven questions) for us to answer and for the first two, every head turned toward me to answer first. It couldn't have been choreographed more beautifully, but if I remember correctly Christie and Gemma - I believe we decided the night before that we could keep emptying the wine bottles at Buca's if we directed all questions to Eve.


I think it went well. I will not be buying the tapes because I probably babbled like an idiot and my constant denial won't allow me to listen to me making a fool of myself.



These are Gemma's shoes. Damn, they're fine! Almost makes it worth it getting harrassed by a weird little troll on the way back to the hotel, doesn't it? Seriously. She was followed by a 165 year-old troll outside Buca's. Maybe it was the shoes he was after in the first place...




This was from the Dorchester Party - with Gemma, Leah, Me and Elisabeth. Christie was too busy building her blackmail portfolio to join us for this pic. I think she might be able to double her advances on one or two pictures alone (I won't go into detail here because I LIKE writing for Dorchester).


All in all I had too much fun, too little sleep, too much food (and possibly booze) and enough adulation by people who loved my books (and were not connected to my mother in any way) to fill a lifetime.


Sigh.


Until next year when we do it all again - I remain yours truly,
The Assassin

15 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Leslie,

You did great at the workshop. And Gemma did fabulous even with that concussion. We had a blast.

And I'm with you. I don't want to listen to the workshop either.

Crime Scene Christie -- Still on the Road.

Hellie Sinclair said...

I love it! I wish I could have been there!

And those are some adorable shoes--though I hear Gemma is about the size of a minute, so I'm sure the troll was looking for more than her shoes...

Gemma Halliday said...

Great pics, Les! I had so much fun with you and the other Dorchester Divas! (Notice all the empty wine bottles in that pic at dinner? Very worried about Christie's blackmail...)

Re: the workshop
You ladies did fab! And it was so cool hearing Eve Kenin's take on writing. She's got some good advice, that woman. Me, I was trying to bock out that it was being recorded. And available for anyone to download on the internet. Too scary.

~Gemma

Leslie Langtry said...

I just noticed the empty wine bottles in the photo! What's funny is that we thought we were helping out by finishing the bottles so our publisher wouldn't have spent on half-drunk wine. The problem was, the waiters just kept bringing more wine to replace the empty bottles!

Les

Terri Osburn said...

I loved getting to meet you in San Fran. All of you! I even got to meet Mr. Assassin which was supercool. I admit I missed the panel. By Saturday morning, I was pretty much done for. Thank goodness I ordered my CDs before I left the conference. LOL!

Keri Ford said...

Sounds like ya'll had so much fun! And those are CUTE shoes. I did notice the wine bottles!

Leslie Langtry said...

Terrio, you must let me know if I sounded like an idiot or not. No, wait. Scratch that. Just lie to me and tell me I was brilliant. That would be better.

Les

Kim Castillo said...

Les,

You could only sound brilliant. Especially after a couple (or three) drinks! LOL

It was awesome hanging with you again. And thanks for letting me drool on your tres chic bags. Remember I get them when you kick the bucket *g*

Loves ya!

Kendra said...

Hi Leslie!

I enjoyed meeting you and Mr. Assassin, too. What a great guy to put up with all those women! How'd Gemma get a concussion? I must have missed that.

You are lucky to be with Dorchester. Leah and Chris are fabulous. They were hilarious during the Dorch. spotlight.

Shoes. (sigh)

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great workshop. what is the web address to listen online.

Leslie Langtry said...

Kim,
That's right - you get the Gucci when I die.

Kendra,
I loved meeting you! Leah and Chris were fun to watch - kind of like a sitcom.

Les

Gemma Halliday said...

How'd Gemma get a concussion? I must have missed that..

'Cause Gemma's an A1 klutz. Lol! I basically fell and hit my head right before the panel. It's all in the timing, right? I'll fill you in on all the gory details in my Friday post, but after the week I've had, I'm seriously considering buying stock in Tylenol.

P.S. You can get the workshops here:
https://www.billspro.com/order/rwa/index.html
But I think they're not available yet.

~Gemma

Anonymous said...

Wow, don't we all look like rays of sunshine so bright and early in the morning? At least our mouths weren't open. And you all (or y'all, as Christie would say) did a fantastic job carrying that panel, ladies--concussed or not.

Kendra, it was great to have a chance to meet you!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I'm not claiming those wine bottles!

The Dorch dinner was so much fun! I had a real ball. Though I'm thinking..."what happens in SF, stays in SF..." LOL

And I agree with the others, Leslie...Mr. Assassin is a stud!!

Leslie Langtry said...

My husband loves his new nickname - Mr. Assassin! He wants to know if he gets a cape with that.

Les