Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Call Me! All Night! You Can Call Me Any Anytime!


Respond today and I'll draw the winner tomorrow who will receive autographed copies of GUNS WILL KEEP US TOGETHER & STAND BY YOUR HITMAN!
Okay. The call. A fascinating story - at least to me.

As some of you may know, I met my editor at a conference and she'd asked me to send the first three chapters of 'SCUSE ME WHILE I KILL THIS GUY, which was originally titled DEATH IN THE FAMILY (lame title when you compare it to 'SCUSE ME, but there you go). I overnighted the chapters and the very, next day, I got an e-mail from Leah asking for the whole ms! She had DEATH IN THE FAMILY in the subject line, which sounded like I'd had, well, a death in the family, and wondering how my future publisher would know that. Then I thought that was real service, notifying prospective authors of the death of family.

Anyway, I spent four days writing like a madwoman with Tourettes Syndrome (it was pretty educational for the kids) - polishing the thing up and I sent it out the day before my husband and I were leaving for L.A. for a bodyguard convention. (Sounds like fun, don't it? It was. Sigh.)

We got back on Monday and the very next day, Tuesday, I was still tired because, well, I may have had a little too much fun. I'd changed into an old t-shirt and shorts and prepared to take a little nap at 2pm. I'd just laid down when the phone rang and i saw DORCHESTER on the caller ID.

Needless to say, I jumped out of bed and answered the phone. My husband was in the doorway and froze when he heard my voice. Leah offered to buy the book! We agreed to talk the next day about the particulars.

Tom had two bottles of Moet & Chandon White Star out and open in the backyard. We had sparkling grape juice for the kids - of course, and just sat outside, drinking champagne while I called everyone I knew - starting of course with mom.

I'm sure my neighbors thought I was nuts screaming drunkenly into the phone for two hours. Oh well.

The best part is that same day I got an e-mail from an agent, turning the book down, saying, "Gin Bombay is unlikeable and no publisher will ever buy the book."

And the rest, is history...

The Assassin

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I loved your book. for the past few years I have been into these hitman books. it all started with barry eisler's John Rain series.

the title and the cover is what caught my eye. (I am a male)

the read was very good for a first novel. I loved the humor and the action. I can not wait to get the rest of the series.

Nathan Welty

welty69@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

How cool wsa that call? I'd have sat in the backyard and hoisted a few glasses of the bubbly myself. And lovely that DH already had it chug when you got off the phone.

Love the titles and you now have a trunk full for future books. Keep on writing, girl!

Refhater said...

Congrats on getting "The Call."

Love your books and can hardly wait for the next one to come out.

Did you call the reject agent back and say "Niener, niener, niener!"?

kmt1976 said...

I agree with refhater. There has to be some way to rub it in - oh, yes, you did makemoney for Leah and not that other publisher!!!
Congratulations!

Wendy said...

Hahah! forget the neighbors thinking you're nuts! Congrats on getting the call. :)

flip said...

I love the title to your book.

Suzan Harden said...

*grin* Success is the best revenge, isn't it, Leslie?

Cheryl said...

Ahh . . . I love that story. I have yet to read one of your books (sorry!) but I'm planning to remedy that soon.

Cheryl S.

Leslie Langtry said...

Thanks guys! No, I didn't even write that agent back because it seemed obvious that she was the worst person on earth to sell my books!

Les

Kim Castillo said...

Les,

Love that story!

And poo poo to that agent. You're right. If she didn't get Gin she was the worst person to represent you.

Oh, to continue our purse chat; guess what I picked up yesterday? A Coach bag for 20 smackeroos!

Sandy said...

That was an interesting phone call, not to mention the convention. Sounds like a fun filled week. Love the email you got...funny.

Anonymous said...

HaHaHa... what a great story Leslie! Death in the family - for reals?
Anyone else want to know more about that bodyguard conference??
I have to agree that Mr. Assasin did great having the bubbly ready.
:D

Caffey said...

Oh wow, what an adventure! And I believe that book found the right home for it! I just checked on these and don't know how I missed them!!!

Too the covers rock! A joy to meet you!

Unknown said...

Very cute post! I loved the way you celebrated getting that call. I don't care what the neighbors think. That was something to celebrate.

Unknown said...

Great call story! Love the titles to your books! I think I would have sent the agent a copy of the book. lol

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Congrats on the call.

Love ‘Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy and Guns Will Keep Us Together. You had me laughing. Oh man, when Diego found out what Ginny did... priceless. I've pre-ordered Stand By Your Hitman and I can't wait for Missi's story.

I'm wondering if that agent got a memo from a higher up about losing you. But then again, she wasn't right for you.

Leslie Langtry said...

Kim! You scored! Yay! Mia - yes, those are fun conferences. I LOVE the idea of sending that agent a copy of the book! I just might have to do that!!!

Les

Christie Craig said...

Great Story, Leslie!

Don't you just love the fact that we showed them disbelievers!

Crime Scene Christie

Tracy Madison said...

Leslie,

I so enjoyed meeting you and your husband at RWA, and I love all your titles and your sense of humor! What a terrific call story, thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, great story... I love how you got the e-mail from the agent on the same day as you got 'the call,' lol

Maureen said...

It's wonderful to celebrate with family. Funny how the rejection could have been upsetting days before but then it was just a joke on your great day.

Karen H said...

"madwoman with Tourettes Syndrome" This leaves quite a picture in my mind...I'm still laughing.

Congrats on 'The Call' and what a great way to celebrate with your family.

Cheryl said...

Great cover. Sounds like a good book that will have to go on my list to check out

Gemma Halliday said...

Love the agent email the same day! Getting "the call" puts all the rejections into perspective, doesn't it? ;)

And, I know I've said this before, but how cool is your husband?! He had champagne at the ready for your sale? I love that! (Seriously, are they working on cloning guys like this yet?)

~Gemma

Hellie Sinclair said...

OMG, THE SAME DAY you got a rejection letter that said that? That agent was so totally dead wrong...I love Gin and her family!

That's a great call story!!

Terri Osburn said...

I loved Gin Bombay and I loved these books. Thank goodness for Dorchester and Leah! To think how much we'd be missing out on without that woman.

Salut!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

For me, the best part of your story was that agent's comment. Yanno what I mean. The "nobody will ever buy this book."

*mega giggles*

Congrats on the success of your series, and congrats on Killer Fiction's one year anniversary!

Faye

Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie,

I don't think I'd ever heard the story about the agent email. Too funny. But it really does go to show you how subjective this biz is.

Leslie Langtry said...

I know it's hard to believe, but i couldn't even make that up about the agent. If I put it in a book, someone would say "that couldn't really happen in real life." It's so true that the truth is stranger than fiction!

Les

Fedora said...

Awesome call story, Leslie! I love hearing all the different ways those first times come about! :) Do you still get a thrill with each sale, or is it old hat now?

tetewa said...

Enjoyed your story and would haveloved to see the look on your neighbor's faces! tWarner419@aol.com

Sue A. said...

You have the best book titles. You're an original!

Laura K said...

Don't know if I'm on time but please enter me into this drawing. I love this cover in your post.

catslady said...

Gin Bombay is unlikeable and no publisher will ever buy the book."

I cannot believe a publisher would say it that way!!!!

Congrats on finding a nice one to buy your book!

Anonymous said...

just looking around for new books to read and came across this site...i looked forward to reading your books as well as the other authors on the site...

Unknown said...

just looking around for new books to read and came across this site...i looked forward to reading your books as well as the other authors on the site...