Thursday, August 28, 2008

Attack of Bullet Hole's Decluttering Brigade!

It's hit. The decluttering bug. It hits me annually this time of year. But this year it's worse.

It might have something to do with the squirrels storing up for the winter tradition that compels me to dig into my closets and start tossing and grab the cleaning implements and gloves and take no prisoners. This year, however, it's really gotten out of hand. I'm not satisfied with mere organizing and cleaning. I've taken the Annual Autumnal Cleaning Campaign to a whole new level.

And it's wreaking havoc with my writing regime.

I blogged last week about sending my students off to college and the painting projects I undertook. (My son's room had been a deep, dark red. Do you have any idea how many coats of 'Popcorn' colored primer and paint it took to cover those walls?) We managed to finish those projects. Then, my son decided it was time to buy the drafting table he had wanted for some time. It was on sale. The time was right.

So we spent much of last Sunday assembling that item. I finally had to call my brother for help lest I say some naughty words that should never be uttered, let alone on the Sabbath. Three hours and a Supreme Pizza later it was together--and a thing of beauty! It even folded up like it was supposed to!

With the addition of the new drafting table, the existing computer table had to be removed to make room. My daughter promptly decided she wanted it. That meant finding a new place for her computer table. Since I inherited the table, I decided my office needed a facelift. So I practically gutted it and started over with a new furniture arrangement. I worked until late last night on my office but I am pleased with the result.

Then I visited my sister-in-law and greatly admired her kitchen and dining room updating project and promptly decided I needed to update my dining room and television room with chair rail and new paint. That means taking down an existing border, buying and staining the rail boards, and, yes--more painting. And, of course this also means new flooring.

Which begs the question: Just when do you plan to write, Bullet Hole? And do class work for three classes? And, uh, sleep?

I admit it. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting back into the swing of a disciplined writing schedule now that I'm working ten hour shifts, fall classes have started, and I've come down with a serious case of ultimate home makeover sydrome.

Last night I decided I needed to come up with a disciplined schedule I could--and would--adhere to that would provide time for writing, coursework, family--and would also allow me time to pursue my home decorating whims.

Today was supposed to be a writing day. Let's see. I've reconciled my bank statements. Made a trip to the Post Office, Walmart, and the convenience store for gas & I'm blogging.

Not a stellar start.

And I hear there's a heck of a sale on laminate flooring...

Dang. I'm doomed!

Anybody else out there similarly afflicted with the decluttering and home improvement bug? How is it manifesting itself? Oh--and if anybody has any foolproof tips on removing wallpaper borders--pass 'em along!

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

P.S. Congrats to Leslie 'The Assassin' Langtry on the release of HITMAN! Whoo hoo! Can't wait to read it!

16 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I have that same decluttering bug. And I usually purge the house every summer but never got to it this year which means I'm getting to it now. But I have a major obstacle - I live in a 1000 sq ft apt on the third floor. So there's no "let me just carry this old entertainment center down the steps all by my lonesome." You see my problem.

I have more stuff than I have room and no garage or even porch to get it out of the way until I can haul it off. So, I've recruited a friend to help me clear stuff out next week. I'm donating everything I can to a church for their yard sale. They get the money but I get my house back which means I'm getting the better part of the deal. LOL!

Oh, and my daughter is starting school and softball, I'm finishing up my two summer courses and will start my fall ones the first week of Oct, and I have a full time job. AND I'm planning my company Xmas party as well as my chapter conference in Nov. Yeah, guess how much writing I'm getting done? LOL!

Gemma Halliday said...

Kathy, I always get tired reading your posts. Lol! If I had half your energy, I'd be a happy woman.

I admit, I LOVE home improvement projects. I try to limit them to when I know I don't have a book due for awhile, because I get totally engrossed with them, too.

Keri Ford said...

I've been looking at redoing a couple rooms in my mom's house. Must be a natural season for this sort of thing. It's hard to stop once you get involved in something like this!

Kathy Bacus said...

Gar! We make a fabulous dynamic decluttering duo, Terrio! But I must ask: Why do we do this to ourselves???

I'm more than ready to buy into that 'less is more' concept of materialism.

And I still have one of those clunky old entertainment centers in my living room just begging to be retired. Maybe next year...

Sigh.

~Bullet Hole who thinks she may have found someone busier than she it~

Kathy Bacus said...

I need to be writing, too, Gemma, but somehow I've just found it hard to get into the routine since I switched jobs.

And the home improvement projects provided instant gratification & quick, visible rewards. Writing a book is more like a 6 month long labor. You really only get to enjoy it after the final push.

~Bullet Hole who does plan to write today--she swears~

Kathy Bacus said...

Your folks would probably appreciate the room makeovers, Keri.

Then again, my dad came over the other day and couldn't even get inside my office due to the furniture I moved in during my painting frenzy. Today he stopped by and almost keeled over when he not only could get the door open without problem, but could actually see the floor!

Then he asked how much writing I was getting done.

Oh, buddy. He knows how to kill my moment of crowing...

~Bullet Hole~

Terri Osburn said...

Kathy - I'll graduate next June and I've promised myself no more conference planning in my future. I'm not sure why we do this but I've learned my lesson not to do it again. LOL!

Keri Ford said...

I don't know, Kathy. I first wanted to paint a bathroom red to bring out the color in a starfish I found. Mom made one of those mom faces like you just cooked her something that she doesn't like but is choking it down anyway!

The red has moved on and now I'm looking at a nice tan. I thinks she's swallowing better now.

Heather said...

I've been preparing for an upcoming move, so decluttering and organizing has been a major part of my summer. I've sent three boxes of books/movies to one sister, a box of stuff to a friend overseas, and my BIL already took a full carload to Goodwill -- and there's still more to go.

I've also bought plastic storage bins and 3-drawer carts in an effort to get more organized. It's nice to have all of my craft supplies in one central area, clearly marked as to what is inside. I can't wait to finally be moved so I can rearrange and replace furniture!

Kathy Bacus said...

I'm taking my last three classes (for now-hehe) this term, Terrio, and I really hope I can manage to find a routine that works for me. If not, I know an agent and editor that won't be particularly happy with me.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I'm familiar with the expression your mum had when you suggested red, Keri. It was probably a twin to the one I wore when my son announced he had selected red for his room.

Never again.

You're a good daughter (and brave one!)to take on a painting project for a relative

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I encouraged my daughter to get some of those plastic organizers (hers in on wheels!) to put things like cosmetics, lotions, bracelets, necklaces, etc. in, Heather, and they work like a dream. Due to flooding, I had to almost gut my basement a year or so ago and since then I've downsized considerably. I'm a big believer in those big plastic totes and bins!

It's so much fun unpacking and rearranging furniture (and buying new stuff!)for a new place.

Good luck with the move!

~Bullet Hole~

Estella said...

I am envious of your energy!

Kathy Bacus said...

You wouldn't be envious of my winter energy level, Estella.

From November through March you need dynamite to get me to move. Since I'm not a cold weather kind of gal, I usually go into hibernation mode so I have to get all my to-dos ta done before the first hard frost.

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

"how many coats of 'Popcorn' colored primer and paint it took to cover those walls?"

I'm guessing enough Popcorn for at least 2 or 3 Cineplexes.

"If not, I know an agent and editor that won't be particularly happy with me."

Atleast one of your fans will be disappointed too.
:(

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Your blog post demonstrates one of the reasons that I haven't yet painted the fireplace wall in my living room. It should be a quick and easy project, but I *know* that if I paint that wall, I'll want to paint the wall next to it and if I do that one, I'll have to do the next and the next...

I'm not sure I'm up for it so it's all still white!!