Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cooking with Kathy or...Baking With Bullet Hole

Amish Recipe Tomato Pie

Despite the weather being beastly hot and horrifically dry this summer, I've been pretty fortunate with my little vegetable garden. As a result, I've tried new and different recipes for zucchini and tomatoes this year. Knowing I had more than a few tomatoes, a co-worker passed along a recipe for Amish Tomato Pie several weeks ago. When the temperature dropped last week, I decided to try his recipe. And boy was it yummy! Of course, anything baked with tomatoes, cheese, and mayo is bound to be tasty, but this one is a keeper.

Now, I'm not known for my skills in the kitchen. In fact, I don't like to cook very much at all. But even this mediocre cook was able to successfully prepare the pie. So today, I thought I'd pass the recipe on to you all, (along with photographic evidence for all those skeptics who are familiar with past culinary disasters in my household that may or may not include an exploding turkey) so you can see there's more to ol' Bullet Hole than meets the eye.

Bon appetit!

~Kathy~


Amish Recipe Tomato Pie

Mix to right consistency and press in bottom of pie dish: 2 Cups Bisquick and ½ Cup Milk ( I substituted pie crust)

Slice two medium tomatoes and line the crust with them.

In a small plastic bag place:

1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
½ teaspoon thyme leaves
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Sprinkle above over tomatoes.

Mix together: 1 cup mayonnaise (you can use light mayo) and ¾ cup shredded American cheese (I used Colby Jack cheese. You can use whatever cheese you prefer.)

Spread mayo and cheese over tomatoes and spices.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown.












2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks yummy, will have to try this.
thanks

Marie said...

It looks so delicious..I have to try this!!