Friday, April 08, 2011

Freedom!



Last week I turned in my second YA book, SOCIAL SUICIDE, *almost* on time, and am now (wait for it…) deadline free until December! (Cue chorus of angels singing.) After being on tight deadline after deadline for the past year and a half, I’m finally taking a nice, deep, breath and find myself in the odd position of being able to calmly and without a hint of stress decide what I’m going to work on today. It’s heaven. Truly heaven. So, here are my post-deadline plans:
1. Vacation!
I’m taking the family to San Diego for a lazy week of laying on the beach. (Okay, we may have to visit Legoland, Sea World, and the Zoo, too, but in between beach lazing.) I have an insanely inexpensive suite booked, have several tropical cocktail recipes packed in my suitcase, plan to leave my laptop at home, and will only answer the phone if there is a true emergency (like I get my new cover art!). I can’t wait!

2. December Book
In order to not be a crazy person again when my December deadline approaches, I’m putting myself on a strict page diet starting NOW. Five pages a day, five days a week, and I should be in the stress-free zone come December. (In theory, I might even finish early!) So, my second order of business is plotting out the December book, which is the second in my new mystery series with St. Martin’s. I’m thinking a little political intrigue, a little romance, and a dead body somewhere in the mix.

3. Hollywood Headlines Book #3
I started writing this book over a year ago, at the time thinking it would be published soon after. But after my publisher changed formats and I left, the book kind of got shoved under the bed in favor of more pressing projects. Time to take it out! This past week I’ve been editing and revising and falling in love with this story all over again. For anyone who has read the first two books, this one is Allie’s story, which I’ve been dying to tell since the series concept was first born. In fact, I had originally thought this would be book #1, but my editor and I decided to draw out the suspense a little instead. It’s been really fun taking a character that has so far been kinda the bad guy, and telling her side of the story. I’m hoping to have this one done in time for a summer launch. It should make a great beach read!

4. High Heels Book #6
As I promised a couple weeks ago, there will be a book #6 in Maddie’s adventures. I have a vague idea brewing about the personal trouble she’ll be getting into, but the victim, killer, and setting of this story are still up in the air. As is the title. Which brings me to asking a small favor of our readers…

Anyone have title suggestions?  :)

Since the plot isn’t firmed up yet, I’m wide open as to where to take the title. Maddie will be doing something “in High Heels”, but I have no idea what yet. Tell you what - anyone who can come up with a great title for High Heels #6, I’ll give you a cameo appearance in the book. Cool?

Okay, title away...



~Trigger (and Beach) Happy Halliday

11 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

Enjoy the vacation, sounds like you deserve it.

I'm not good with titles, but I've come up with three.

DYING IN HIGH HEELS
SHOOTING IN HIGH HEELS
MURDER IN HIGH HEELS

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous beach vacay!

Hmmm...High Heels titles...actually, going on the loose premise you told me a week ago, my guess is that instead of high heels, she'll be spying in ballet flats. ;) But yeah, that doesn't really have the same punch, does it?

MURDER IN HIGH HEELS
INVESTIGATING IN HIGH HEELS
SNOOPING IN HIGH HEELS
SLEUTHING IN HIGH HEELS
CLANDESTINE IN HIGH HEELS
STEALTHY IN HIH HEELS
ANNIHILATION IN HIGH HEELS
BLOOD IN HIGH HEELS

Yeah, I'm not good with titles.

Anonymous said...

FELONY IN HIGH HEELS
FOUL PLAY IN HIGH HEELS

Sarah S. said...

I have a few title suggestions:

Dangerous in High Heels
Immoral in High Heels
Ruthless in High Heels
Decomposing in High Heels
Mischievous in High Heels.

I hope you like them.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like DANGEROUS IN HIGH HEELS! Good suggestion, Sarah!

Gemma Halliday said...

Ohmigod, you guys are GREAT with titles! Those are so much better than anything I’ve been able to come up with. Lol! I think I’m title-dead after coming up with so many in a short time for my other projects. Hmm… I’m leaning toward DANGEROUS, FELONY or MURDER IN HIGH HEELS right now.

Keep 'em coming!

~Gemma

P.S. Off to buy a bathing suit now. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

You know, you could always write 3 new Maddie books and use all three of those suggestions... :)

Sarah S. said...

Amanda, thanks. I also like your Felony in High Heels Suggestion. Great job. I also agree with your three book idea. :)

Michele L. said...

Oh cool! I love your series and that would be awesome to have a cameo in your next one!

Here goes,
DEADLY DIVA'S AND HIGH HEELS
FLAMBE'D IN HIGH HEELS
DEATH STALKS IN HIGH HEELS
DOUBLE CROSSED IN HIGH HEELS
BUMPED OFF IN HIGH HEELS
DEATH COMETH IN HIGH HEELS
HIGH HEELS AND HOMICIDE
DEATH DIVE IN HIGH HEELS
HACKED IN HIGH HEELS
HIGH HEELS AND DEADLY DESIRE
CURTAIN CALL IN HIGH HEELS

Ok, my thinker is dead. Sure was fun though! Good luck! Have a fun vacation!

Unknown said...

HIGH HEEL KILLS
MYSTERY IN HIGH HEELS
MADNESS IN HIGH HEELS
HIGH HEELs TORTURE
BLOODY HIGH HEELS
WITCH IN HIGHHEELS

Unknown said...

I think now that Maddie is a happily married woman - her primary duty is going to be to drive Jack crazy. Well, she already does that very well. lol :)

That being said here is my suggestion for a title -

Vacation in High Heels (maybe a murder while they are on their belated honeymoon?)

Have a great vacation!