Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Introducing Vicky Dreiling

Winner! Winner!

Catslady. You're name was pulled out of the hat. Please me your snail mail address to Christie(at)christie-craig.com



I’d like to introduce you to my dear friend Vicky Dreiling. She’s one heck of a person. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Vicky when she didn’t have a big smile on her face. Of course, she was smiling extra big when she leaned over to me almost a year ago and whispered, “I sold.” She was glowing and for a darn good reason, too. She was about to embark on a wonderful career. I can’t wait to read Vicky’s book. With that said, I’ll turn you over to Vicky.


HOW TO ACCIDENTALLY WRITE AND PUBLISH A BOOK

By Vicky Dreiling

All my life I’ve stumbled upon adventures. An opportunity will arise and I think, “Go for it.” Such is the case with the publication of my debut historical romance HOW TO MARRY A DUKE. One night while watching TV, I happened upon a reality show featuring 25 beauties and one hunky bachelor. I cracked up over the shenanigans and cat fights. By the time that episode of The Bachelor ended, I was hooked. Then an idea for a book popped into my head: The bachelor in Regency England, minus the hot tub and camera crew.

My mother always told me I had a wild imagination, and I guess I proved her right. Of course, I had no clue what I was getting into when I started planning the book. First, I had to conjure up a hero, one who would be desperate enough to hire a matchmaker to find him a bride. Enter Tristan, the Duke of Shelbourne, who is desperate to wed because he has no heir, but he’s at his wits end as every silly belle in the Beau Monde chases him in London ballrooms. Naturally I sent Miss Matchmaker – that would be Miss Tessa Mansfield – in to save the day. She soon discovers the unromantic duke has created strict qualifications for the perfect duchess, Tessa knows the picky duke will probably reject one candidate after the other and makes a daring plan. He has no idea what she’s got in store for him.

Just like the TV show, the bridal candidates form alliances and plots to remain in this wacky courtship to the very end. But another alliance, a forbidden one, is taking place as Tristan and Tessa try to resist their attraction to one another. He’s honor-bound to marry one of the bridal candidates, and she has a ruinous secret.

After I finished writing the book, I realized I needed an agent. I attended a writer’s conference and arrived at the dinner late. There was only one chair left – next to an agent. She asked me what I wrote. I said historical romance and shut my mouth because I thought she was just being polite. Then she asked me what the book was about. I gave her a sheepish look and said, “Um, it’s the bachelor in Regency England.” She whipped out her card and requested the manuscript on the spot. I was tempted to buy a lottery ticket, but I digress. J

That was not the last of our accidental meetings. At another conference, I heard someone call out my name on the escalator. I looked back and there was the agent again. By that time, I figured this had to be fate. I signed with Lucienne Diver and sold HOW TO MARRY A DUKE in a three-book deal.

Yet another accidental circumstance occurred recently. Since I’m a fan of The Bachelor, I keep tabs on when the next season begins. Imagine my surprise when I found out The Bachelor premieres January 3, 2011, the same day that HOW TO MARRY A DUKE debuts. Some things in life are just meant to be.

Do you believe in fate? Have you ever stumbled upon an adventure that you never expected? I’m giving away one copy of HOW TO MARRYA DUKE in a random drawing, so be sure to leave a comment. May the Magic Romance Fairies be with all of you!

Website: http://www.vickydreiling.com/index.php

Book blurb

Tristan, the Duke of Shelbourne is a man with a mission: find a wife he can tolerate as long as they both shall live. No love is necessary—nor desired. But how to choose amid a dizzying array of wealthy-yet-witless candidates? Hire London’s infamously prim and proper matchmaker. Then pretend she’s not the most captivating woman he’s ever met . . .

Helping a devilish Duke create a contest to pick his perfect mate is the kind of challenge Tessa Mansfield relishes. Her methods may be scandalous, but she’s determined to find the notorious bachelor more than a wife—she’ll bring him true love. Yet when Tessa watches the women vie for the Duke’s affections, she longs to win his heart herself. And after a stolen kiss confirms Tristan’s desire, Tessa knows she has broken a matchmaker’s number one rule: never fall in love with the groom.

18 comments:

krisgils33 said...

congrats on the release. the book sounds really great, I will have to get it on my wish list!

Danielle said...

Hi! I can't wait to get this book and read it!

Congrats on your first book!

Terri Osburn said...

I definitely believe in fate and stumbling into adventures. Sounds like you're an expert at both. Was this your first MS or could you make us still struggling writers feel better and say you have a few lurking with the dust bunnies? LOL!

Not a fan of The Bachelor, but your twist on the idea sounds like lots of fun. And there's always that deep, dark secret. Even better.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Vicky,

Thanks so much for stopping in today. I'm a big believer in fate and while I love new adventures, I'm the first to admit, I sometimes hate change. I need fate to give me a kick in the butt when I slip upon an adventure.

Robin Kaye said...

I'm so looking forward to getting this, it sounds like so much fun! Off to put it on my new Kindle!

Man Candy Fans said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Terri, How to Marry a Duke is not my first manuscript. I'd written one other historical romance several years ago that did very well in writing contests. But the reason I sort of a skipped a contest grade is because I took 2 writing classes very early on. That first manuscript didn't sell, and my life underwent some big changes. I went back to university to finish my degree and embarked on a new career in marketing. So there is a big gap between the first and the second book, which I sold.

While I don't have 5, 10, or 20 manuscripts collecting dust under my bed, I could fill a vault with all the drafts I wrote of both the first and the second manuscript. I have a very determined streak in me, and I know Christie is the same way. Honestly, I think perserverance is one of the most important qualities to have as a writer.

Johanna R Jochum said...

This book looks great and I'm adding it to my list! I think I believe in fate and finding adventures. I never had a big adventure though I would love to have a good one someday! Thanks for sharing with us today!

evjochum[AT]aol[DOT]com

Hellie Sinclair said...

I do believe in fate and stumbling into adventures.

I'm not a fan of The Bachelor (at all); however, your twist sounds humorous--and I admire the fact you found a contemporary trend and found a way to historicalize it for marketing trend purposes. Of course, I'm sure you were just having fun and playing "What if?" but what you did naturally seems to elude a lot of writers. *LOL*

catslady said...

Your book sounds like a great read. Fate - maybe lol. I'm on the fence. As to adventures - oh most definitely but I told you all about them I'd have to kill you hahaha.

Man Candy Fans said...

Ms Hellion,

The book is is based on a classic matchmaker story. While the bachelor-like events do take place, most of the story is devoted to Tristan's and Tessa's developing and forbidden relationship. I purposely made the decision to put the emphasis on the romance, because I knew that's what readers would want.

As for The Bachelor TV show, I live-tweet this on #bachelor Monday nights with a gazillion other people. Women's fiction author Jennifer Weiner joins in on the fun as well. The comments people make are better than the show LOL.

Man Candy Fans said...

Catslady - you could always write a book and fictionalize your adventures. :-)

jsiar said...

Congratulations! This sounds like a really fun read.

Jane said...

Congrats on the new release, Vicky. I do believe in fate. I always think about how certain choices I've made have lead me to meet some of my best friends.

Linda Warren said...

Vicky,
Congratulations!!! Enjoy this new adventure in publication. I'm so happy for you and wish you only the best. And many more books.
Linda

Linda Henderson said...

I don't know that I believe in fate, maybe when I was younger. Congratulations on your book deal and I really enjoyed the blurb, I can't wait to read it.

seriousreader at live dot com

Diane_Holmes said...

Vicky, Going out to buy book NOW. Yes, Right NOW. :) Really thrilled for you.

catslady said...

Thank you so much. I'm really looking forward to reading this book!

Anonymous said...

This book is on my MUST HAVE NOW LIST!!!I can't wait.Congrats on the book.We are the lucky ones from the preview I am hooked.