Wednesday, March 21, 2012

To run or not to run...


A few months ago, in a fit of energy, I signed up for this really neat race that's coming up. I think I may have written about it here. It's the Run for Your Lives 5K obstacle course. It's fun because you're out running through a park and it's extra neat because you're being chased by people dressed as zombies. You have to dodge and weave and hope they don't get all of the flags from your flag belt (lest you become one of the undead horde).

Now, as far as I'm concerned, there has been one minor complication with the whole, "run through the woods for miles" plan and that is that I don't know how to run. Oh sure, I could run if chased. But I've never been a track and field type. I've never jogged for fun and it took me two weeks to find my old running shoes (back of the closet, behind lots of old books that I had to fondle first). I'm not even sure if they're great shoes. If I remember right, I bought them because they are cool looking and silver (Truly. Who actually runs in running shoes? Oh wait. That would now be me.)

Once I found the shoes, I was at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. So I went to the library and found more books - on running this time (See? An improvement.) Only now, I'm learning all kinds of different techniques for what I'd at first believed was an uncomplicated activity. And, quite frankly, I'm all intimidated as to how to start running and when and how to breathe and I'm thinking I should have not tried to research and just started, oh I don't know - running.

So next week, when the kids are back in school, I'm going to start. It will not be pretty. In fact, it will probably be quite slow. In fact, if you have any tips, I'm all ears. At least the zombie hoard won't be here until August.

5 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I recommend finding the Cough to 5K ap and using that. Starts you off running for like a minute then walk for two. Then run for one and walk for two. Something like that. I haven't used it myself (seeing as my knees can't even take walking) but I know people who have used it and one actually turned into a runner at the end.

Not sure how you can throw in the zombie element, but maybe some neighborhood kids would help out.

Good luck!

Angie Fox said...

Thanks. I'll check that out! Maybe there's a zombie Moan to 5K variation out there.

Terri Osburn said...

I just realized I typed "cough" to 5K. LOL! That's COUCH! I'm such a twit sometimes.

Ellie said...

I'm looking into a class that a local shoe shop holds for beginner runners. My friend who took it loved it and said it was a bunch of people who were out of shape and new to running, but always wanted to try it. Most of them had tried on their own and got discouraged, but the class helped them get past that stage. That's just what I need, too. Good luck to you!

EJ Lawrence said...

I have several friends who have signed up for the Baltimore Run as Zombies. Just make sure that you evaluate them for being shambles or sprinters. That might make a difference when they are coming at you. Good luck in your race.