Thursday, November 22, 2012

Grateful.

I, like most people, spend a lot of time wishing. I wish for things I thought I'd have by now, things that I had hoped for, do hope for, things that I believe will solve certain problems, fill certain holes and so on.

I don't spend nearly enough time thinking about everything I have.

For instance, I have an amazing son. He continues to wow me with his insights, kindness, courage, and intellect. Can he be a challenge? God yes. But I'm so amazingly grateful for this child. He is my center and my inspiration.

I have people in my life who love me and whom I dearly love in return. People who don't judge me for my moments of crazy or my many flaws. People who take me into their hearts and their lives. Notice that I say "people." That's plural. We are lucky when we have one person like that we can count on. I have several. I'm blessed.

I have a book contract. This one's a little trickier because I'm not at the point where I imagined I would be at this point in my career. Once upon a time I imagined my name at the top of the New York Times Bestsellers list. I imagined chit-chatting with J.K Rowling (I would call her J.K) while we were being put up in the same 5 star hotel by our publishers. So this is an area where I can start to feel a little...well, not bitter but certainly wistful.

But here's the thing; there are authors all over the world who don't have a book contract. I do. I have a fantastic editor who is behind me and doing everything he can to promote my upcoming erotic fiction trilogy.  I continue to get royalties from my six traditionally published Sophie books and my self-published novel generates a steady income for me every month. I have a small (relative to J.K's) but incredibly loyal readership, I believe in my talent and potential and that self-respect and ability to take pride in my work and my accomplishments is worth being insanely grateful for.

In other words, I'm truly happy with what I have in my life. I'm happy with the oppertunities available to me, I'm happy with my friends and family.

I'm just happy.

How can I not be grateful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving, and don't forget to thank those who you are thankful for.

Kyra "Fashionista Fatale" Davis

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kyra, besides having your son who I know it by your side you have plenty of faithful readers. I loved all the Sophie Books and will be buying your new trilogy.

Here's to the New Year & hopefully making it to that 5 Star Hotel.

Unknown said...

Kyra, besides having your son who I know it by your side you have plenty of faithful readers. I loved all the Sophie Books and will be buying your new trilogy.

Here's to the New Year & hopefully making it to that 5 Star Hotel.