Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Is . . . by Diane Kelly




Here it is, Valentine’s Day. And I’m all alone. Well, not entirely alone. My mother’s aged Pomeranian is keeping me company. Yep, I’m out of town, dog sitting, while my mom is in Vegas partying with friends. I think it’s her way of paying me back for all the partying I did in my teen years. What goes around comes around, huh?

I miss my guy. But you know what? Being away from the one you love can be a good thing. It’s much easier to love each other when you’re not vying to be the first to get in the shower, fighting over the covers, or racing each other to get the last cup of coffee in the pot. Yeah, I believe in that old adage that “absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

As a writer of romantic mysteries, I’m always looking for clever and unusual ways to express love in my novels. In my research, I’ve come across some interesting quotes about love, some that I agree with, others not so much. Let’s take a look at some famous love quotes:

"I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.” Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Old Lizzie, got it right. If we’re crazy about someone, and they bring out the best in us, it’s a win-win. Then again, having someone who brings out your worst side can be fun, too. Who hasn’t enjoyed a passionate argument followed by a make-up make-out session?

“Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” Franklin P. Jones. You nailed it, Frankie boy. This quote is essentially the theme of the movie “Up in the Air,” which to me was so tragic. Life without someone to love would indeed be the equivalent of eating only airline food and never enjoying the happy picnic life can be.

“If you have love, you don’t need to have anything else, and if you don’t have it, it doesn’t matter much what else you have.” Sir James M. Barrie. Yes, sir! But is it too much to ask to be in love while wearing a really cute pair of shoes?

“Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.” Henry Louis Mencken. Hmm. Not sure if this is a veiled insult to those who fall in love or not. What do you think?

“The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.” Helen Keller. Helen ought to know, right? Then again, a heart attack is felt with the heart, too. Yikes!

“Tell me whom you love and I will tell you who you are.” Houssaye. Wow. I have no idea who Houssaye is, but who says it better?

“Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” Saint Augustine. This pretty much sums up the plot of “The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” Not sure how I feel about this one. To experience deep love is also to experience deep pain – the two go hand in hand. Would it be better to just feel “okay” all the time instead?

“Love stinks.” J. Geils Band. Yeah, yeah.

“Love can rock you. Never stop you. Love is like a rock.” Donnie Iris. Anybody else remember this song from the 80’s?

What quotes about love do you find inspiring? What quotes do you think are pure caca?

5 comments:

Tiffany0227 said...

I am sure this is a quote somewhere and I am almost positively sure I am not saying it right but is something like this:

you must have love in your heart and be open to love. you must love yourself to be able to accept the love of someone else.

Christie Craig said...

Happy Valentine's Day Diane!! I think you covered most of the love quotes that I know.

Hubby came to me and asked..."What are we doing for Valentine's Day. I told him, let's wait until April and we're in Ca. and I'll make you take me out to a really nice dinner. He loved getting off the hook!

CC

Anonymous said...

Happy Love Day, Diane! (I have a toddler..."Valentine's Day" is too challenging of a concept. LOL)

We had a babysitter on Friday night for the first time ever. (Well, I mean, she goes to daycare during the day, but not the same thing.) It was NICE.

Zita said...

The ones I think a caca are the friend ones where some friends are forever, some are sometimes, and some are for right now. Bulls**t! Excuses, much? What a way to rationalize your own flighty behaviour. And to get the sometimes and right now friends to buy it with a smile, too! Shameful!

The ones I think are right on the money are all the ones by EBB. Lizzie really did get it right :-)

Diane Kelly said...

Great quote, hatfieldtiffany!

And I'm with you, too, Zita. People either really care about each other or they don't and what's the point of wasting time on meaningless relationships?

Christie - have a blast in CA!

Amanda - having a real date is great, huh? And not easy with little ones. Mine are older now, and my husband and I actually got to go see "Gnomeo and Juliet" on Saturday for our Valentine's celebration. Of course we were about the only adults in the theater without kids in tow, but we're suckers for anything funny. It was pretty cute. Lots of subtle Shakespeare references and nonstop Elton John music.