Friday, January 27, 2012

Morning (Afternoon and Evening) Sick

For anyone looking for a good read, my third Hollywood Headlines book, HOLLYWOOD CONFESSIONS is now free on Amazon.com!  

Just follow the link below, or go to Amazon.com and search for the title.  (Just be sure to click the formats book for the totally free version, not the version only free to Prime members.)  If you don’t have a Kindle device, you can still read the free book by downloading  the free Kindle app for your MAC, PC, ipad, iphone, android, blackberry, or other smart phone devices.


 This month I’ve been really slacking on the writing.  What to know why?  Two words: morning sickness.  Though why it is called morning is beyond me since, as most women who have been pregnant know, it’s morning, noon, and night.   For example, yesterday I got a call from a woman at the “advanced age mother’s program” at my insurance company.  (Thanks.  Now I feel better about myself.  I mean, I know I’m not 20 anymore, but do we really have to call it “advanced age”?  Couldn’t we call it “more prepared” or “more experienced”?  We are highly hormonal, you know.  People have been killed for saying less about pregnant woman at this stage.)  The woman asked me a series of questions about how my pregnancy was gogin so far.  When she got to the one about morning sickness, I had to laugh at her.  “How many of the last 24 hours would you say you have experienced any nausea?”

“Um, all of them?”

“And of the last 48 hours?”

“All of them.”

“And of the last-“

“Let me just save you some time here.   Whatever time frame you’re giving me, the answer is all of them.”

She then went on to ask what kinds of foods I was eating.  Did she not just hear me?  24/7 nausea.  I’m not eating food.  Okay, *chewing and swallowing* - toast.  Digesting - none.  Unless water counts as a food.   

Anyway, as you can imagine, it makes it a little bit hard to write.  Love scenes are DEFINITELY out at the moment.  (Why would I want to write about what put me in this position in the first place?!  Let me tell you, there would be a lot of condoms involved.)   My characters have not eaten a meal since the beginning of the book.  No food scenes whatsoever.   No humor scenes either.  It’s hard to think funny when you’re constantly running to pray to the porcelain gods.  Which basically leaves me with shooting scenes.  I’ve been shooting a LOT of people lately.  (See hormonal reference above.)  This book is going to be chock full of action.    

The one nice side effect of being newly pregnant?  My memory is totally shot.  I’ve completely forgotten when my deadline for this book is.  Convenient, right?  ;)

Okay, if anyone has any remedies for morning sickness, lay ‘em on me.  So far MetroMint peppermint water is my best friend, but I’m so open to suggestions!

     
~Trigger Happy Halliday

10 comments:

Robin Kaye said...

Oh poor baby...

When I was prego with my first--a boy, I was sick the entire 10 months. Yes, he was over a month late. I'd love to tell you that something worked for me but it really didn't. When I could eat, I ate baked potatoes with mushrooms, cheese and sour cream. The good news is he was healthy (an 8 lb baby) and when all was said and done, I'd lost 30 pounds.

Terri Osburn said...

I had slight nausea for month 3 only and kept saltine crackers with me at all times. They were the only things that kept me from losing it. And I was on the radio 5 hours a day so running for the bathroom every few minutes wasn't an option.

Hope this passes and you get to feeling better. I'm sure saying this won't last forever doesn't make you feel any better today.

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks! My mantra lately is "it's only temporary". And I'm sure it will all be worth it. :)

Jenn said...

Which basically leaves me with shooting scenes. I’ve been shooting a LOT of people lately.

LOL! Good thing you write mysteries, huh?

I didn't have morning sickness with my kids, (don't shoot!) so I can't help, but I hope it goes by quickly. :)

Suzan Harden said...

Oh, Gemma, I feel for you! I know this sounds disgusting, but the only food I could keep down while pregnant was Denny's egg and potato skillet dishes. It might be worth a try to get some calories in you.

Kima said...

My best friend went through two rounds of chemo and was sick for 90% of it. She swears by oyster crackers, saltines, and plain cherrios (no milk). That was all she lived on for months until chemo was over. At least you get a baby at the end of all this! All she got was bald and boobless.

Brandy said...

I ate the same thing when I had morning sickness as when I have the flu. Broth, ginger-ale and saltines. I hope your morning sickness dissipates soon.

Kathy Bacus said...

Don't hate me but I never experienced any morning sickness with my pregnancies--even with the triplets. Never hurled. Never felt like I had to hurl.

Wondering if gingersnaps might help.

Hope you feel better soon!

~Kat

Cameron said...

Ginger Tea, Ginger Ale, Saltines and occasionally water flavored with those little crystal light packets during my first pregnancy. But, it's all worth it in the end.

Maria G. Swan said...

Oh, Gemma, so sorry. I was sick with the first one. Living in France. I ate plain yogurt and tuna. No kidding, now just thinking about that makes me gag. Were you sick with the first 2?