Monday, December 19, 2011

SCROOGE AND MARLEY by Diane Kelly






When I watch one or another movie version of A Christmas Carol, I’m always struck by the fact that Ebenezer Scrooge hasn’t taken the time to change the sign for his business from “Scrooge & Marley” despite the fact that his business partner, Jacob Marley, has been dead for years. Although the failure to change the sign is a subtle indicator of Scrooge’s penny-pinching ways, it’s still creepy to have a long-dead man’s name hanging over the door of the business.

The people in our lives bring out different aspects of our personality. Some bring out the best in us, others the worst. Given that Scrooge is visited by the ghost of Jacob Marley wearing a long, heavy chain forged through a life of exploitation and greed, I imagine that Scrooge and Marley were of the latter variety, feeding off each other’s greed and insensitivity, together creating an evil, selfish synergy.

I can’t help but wonder - might Ebenezer have been a better man if he’d had a different business partner? What if Scrooge’s partner had been a different Marley?

Bob Marley would have made the perfect business partner. While he might have smoked the profits, he’d have happily shared a spliff with the uptight Ebenezer and perhaps gotten the old coot to loosen up a bit.

The golden lab from Marley and Me would’ve made a great partner for Scrooge, too. Hard to stay in a crabby mood with an adorable puppy bounding around and licking your toes.

I'm lucky to have a wonderful husband who brings out my goofy side and makes me feel anything is possible. I also have some wonderful friends who inspire my creativity and imagination. Who brings out the best in you? Let's chat about it!

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Diane Kelly is the author of the Death and Taxes humorous mystery series. Visit Diane at www.dianekelly.com.

5 comments:

Robin Kaye said...

I think my kids bring out the best in me. They've taught me so much and I'm a much better person having had them around for the last 14 to 18 years. They're three of the most amazing people I know.

Theresa N. said...

I think my husband brings out the best and worst in me.
Theresa N
weceno(at)yahoo(dot)com

Diane Kelly said...

Kids can definitely bring out the best in their parents. A person doesn't realize how selfless they can be until they have a child. But I have to admit, my kids can sometimes really bring out my bad side, too, especially when they are acting like the teenagers they are. I can only be pushed so far, then GRRRR! Watch out! : ) I'm with you Theresa, too. Although my husband brings out the best in me, like my children he can sometimes inspire my inner witch to come out. I think it's the people we care about the most who have the power to affect us in the most extreme ways.

Hope you two are enjoying the pre-holiday countdown!

GladysMP said...

My husband is a definite extrovert. He was by far the most popular boy in our high school, elected most popular both his Junior and Senior years, head cheerleader, etc. Once people meet him, they just never forget him.
Me, I was so shy that hardly anyone was aware I was around. Hubby has definitely changed me for the better. I am no longer anywhere near as shy as before.

Diane Kelly said...

Opposites definitely attract, and can also complete each other. Sounds like you found your perfect complement, Gladys! My husband and I are opposites in many ways, too. I think that's part of why we work well - we balance each other out.