Monday, September 29, 2008

It Just Figures

You ever have those things happen that you're absolutely sure only happen to you and could have only happened to you at that particular moment? Don't answer that, Christie, we've heard enough of your stories to be scared when you leave the house. :)

So it wasn't an elaborate thing, but I get really amused with ironies in life. I was driving to work the other day and talking to one of my friends about our never ending struggle with diet. We're both emotional eaters, so boredom, stress, happiness, excitement...pretty much anything but sleep makes us want to eat. Stress is the worst though, and since we're both very busy people with tons of responsibility, we fight the battle to indulge ourselves every day.

Now since I spend most all day every day sitting and typing - either at home or at work - it makes it particularly hard for me to avoid "picking" at food. After all, I'm just sitting there, right? Why not have something to graze on all day? And if I choose carrot sticks, we wouldn't even be talking. But no, my biggest downfall is caramel corn - specifically Poppycock that I get at Walgreens up the road from the office. So I was telling Cari that I work and work and work and kept the thoughts of Poppycock from my mind as long as possible but then eventually I just decide to get it over with go get a bag so that I stop obsessing. And then it never fails, that is the day that Walgreens is selling them buy one get one free.

Now, who in their right mind is only going to pick up one bag when the second costs nothing and their is no discount at all for just purchasing one?

So we get off the phone and I manage to steer past Walgreens and instead turn into a QT gas station. They sell this honeynut cheerios snack mix that is much lower in fat that other choices and is far better for me than the caramel corn. So I head into the store, pick up my bag of snack mix and head to the counter, pleased with myself for skipping Walgreens and going for the lower fat snack. So the guy picks up the bag, scans it, then says to me "these are buy one get one free."

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

So I head out to my car with two friggin' bags of snack mix and call Cari back. She'd probably still laughing.

Deadly (double for nothing) DeLeon

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol Too funny, Jana! And, for the record, I love Poppycock, too! It's sooooo good and highly addictive!

Patrice

Shel said...

Stupid buy one get ones - they do it on purpose. You will notice that they rarely have the healthy stuff on sale. Who cares if the spinach is buy one get one free...

Terri Osburn said...

I feel your pain. I'm a total emotional eater but for some reason, stress makes me not eat. And if I'm crazy happy (which NEVER happens) then I don't eat. But irritation, boredom, anger, and most anything else and I'm looking for ready to bake cookie dough packages.

Gemma Halliday said...

2 for 1 gets me every time. I'm Scottish - it's against my upbringing to pass on a bargain.

~Gemma

Keri Ford said...

I don't like dark chocolate. really don't even like the smell of it. hubby loves dark chocolate. you know who's been eating all the dark chocolate? ME! How? I don't know. I'm putting it in and eating and I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. This obsessive eating thing sucks. they should make a pill to cure it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, now I'm really hungry!

Estella said...

I always fall for the 2 for 1.
You are entirely right about healthy things never being 2 for 1.

Lucy said...

When I was married, my ex-husband would come home from the grocery store with three cans of pork and beans - every single time he went - because they were three for a dollar. I kept telling him that it wasn't a good deal if neither of of liked them but he kept buying them anyway. Periodically I would donate them.

Jana DeLeon said...

See, Patrice - that must be why we're friends....impeccable taste. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Yuck shel - I certainly don't care if spinach is on sale. I don't care if the entire spinach crop dies for a year or two. LOL

Jana DeLeon said...

Terrio - I LOVE those cookie dough packages. Of course, I don't actually bake them. But I love the stuff raw!

Jana DeLeon said...

Gemma - you too?! I'm German/Scottish. No wonder I can't refuse the deal. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

keri - I'd totally buy that pill. I'd buy stock in the company. Hell, I'd try to get a job there!

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL tori! Me too!

Jana DeLeon said...

estella - Well, I guess I feel better knowing the world isn't conspiring over my large butt only. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Lucy! That's something I can honestly saw I've never done. Don't care how good the sale is...if I don't like it, I'm not buying it. No matter what - food, clothes, shoes, etc.

Christie Craig said...

Jana,

LOL. Hey, you tried. Give yourself credit for trying.

CC