Monday, September 22, 2008

Can You Believe the Nerve?

I told this story once a long time ago on my personal blog, but thought I'd share it here. I think I've mentioned before that nothing shocks me any more. But every once and a while, I get surprised and every once and a GREAT while, I get totally surprised. Well, it happened one Friday night last year.

I had an all-day writer's workshop on Saturday to attend, so my local cp's and I decided to get a room Friday (like we always do when individual schedules allow) and do our girl's writer's night. So it was fairly late (11:00 ish) that night when we put on bathing suits and headed down to the hot tub (one of the main reasons for the hotel excursion). We had been sitting there for about a hour when a guy walked in. The timer had just gone off so he asked if we wanted it turned back on. We said yes, so he did then he asked if he could turn off the lights.

We really didn't care. The room opened up to the courtyard which had plenty of light and quite frankly, we were already hot and the popcorn lights weren't helping matters. So he turns off the lights and then walks around to the side of the hot tub and sits at the side. My cp's are running on about one of their wips, so they aren't paying attention to this dude, but I thought he as acting weird. I mean, he seemed to be in pretty good shape but yet he was sitting on the side of the hot tub with the towel wrapped around him. So as soon as I turn my head, he slips into the water and I'm like "Oh My God! I bet he's naked!" (which in the south, is pronounced nekkid)

So my cp's have never looked over but I stop contributing to the conversation altogether. I'm too busy looking for his hands. Because by God, if his hands go below and his shoulder shakes (or anything else) I am SOOOOOOO out of there. So I'm busy on hand watch and the other two are plotting a book and finally one cp looks at ole boy and says "I bet we're boring you to death." And all I'm thinking is "Don't talk to him! He's naked!" Mind you, she STILL doesn't notice anything weird. The other one looks over as he responded and it was written all over her face - she definitely knew he was nekkid, now.

So a couple of minutes later we decide we're waterlogged and get out. We're halfway down the hall when I say "Can you believe that guy was in the hot tub nekkid!!!!" The clueless cp almost falls out in the hall and says "But he was floating on his back when we left!" Of course, it was dark, so I guess she didn't get a good look.

Now, being nekkid in a public place is bad enough but there is some big high school dance competition going on this weekend and half of the hotel was filled with high school girls. What in the world was he thinking??????? Doesn't he know that only one person filing a complaint would have him labeled a sexual preditor??????? And since this is the south, a more appropriate way of asking would be "what kind of cahonies does he have" but the problem with that question is I kinda already know and it still doesn't answer the question.

But my internal monologue would have made a great sitcom skit. :)

Deadly (dumbfounded) DeLeon

11 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Oh, my! You and your friends have fun!!

CC

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Christie! It's fun now, looking back, but at the time I just remember feeling creepy about the whole thing. Yuck!

Keri Ford said...

People can be crazy! I'm afraid I would have called him out on it, just out of pure open mouth and words escape without getting permission from the brain first.

Anonymous said...

I remember this story! It's still funny. *g*

Terri Osburn said...

I knew as soon as you got to the turning off the lights part. Some people just don't have a clue. LOL! And I mean this dude, not your CP. Would have creeped me out too.

Estella said...

Now I know why I don't use hot tubs in public places.

Gemma Halliday said...

Eww. Just... ewwwww!

~Gemma

Jana DeLeon said...

And you know, keri, normally I am the biggest mouth in the south, but I swear I was so dumbfounded that no a sound was uttered. I guess you just never know.

Jana DeLeon said...

Yeah, tori, when we did our girl's trip a couple of weekend ago, we were talking about it and that's what reminded me to post here about it. It's still one of my favorite "what the hell just happened" moments.

Jana DeLeon said...

estella - probably a good plan. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL gemma - hey, he's probably available for a date........and I could tell you about him in GREAT detail. :)