Monday, March 21, 2011

Before Some of You Lynch Me

As anyone who's been within ten feet of me in the past month knows, my first Harlequin Intrigue, THE SECRET OF CYPRIERE BAYOU, released at the beginning of March. Sales are great and I've been getting fabulous email from readers, but one thing that several people indicated gave me a YIKES moment.

Before I explain the moment, let me give you a little background information about your average writer - we don't read our own books. The galley review is usually the last time we read our work unless we're doing a small piece as a reading at conference. Why? Well, there's many reasons starting with we don't have time to read much and ending with a book's never perfect so we'd find something we wanted to change every time we read it. So we avoid the frustration by not reading our own work once it's in print and out of our control.

Sooooooooo, because I did not read my own book, I did not realize that there's no indication in it that my next book, which releases in July, is a related book with the follow-up story. I swear, I did not leave you all hanging! In July, you'll meet Justine, a beautiful historian hired by Olivia to research the family tree of laMalediction and locate the cursed emeralds.

I wish there had been some indication in the back of the book that let you know I didn't leave dangling threads everywhere on purpose. I will be certain to request it the next time I have related books. I still can't guarantee I'll get it, but I promise that if you come here and ask, I'll always provide a thread ending for you, even if I have to manufacture it for the blog. :)

Also, all of you Monday-morning readers, please take a look at the blog post below mine. Christie Craig has a prequel of her paranormal YA available for download for FREE! I downloaded mine yesterday and as soon as I finish my current book, it is first on my list to read!

Deadly DeLeon

6 comments:

Diane Kelly said...

So everyone thought you were a tease, huh? : ) That's great that the readers wanted more!

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Diane, apparently so. But it's not good to tease readers with unfinished plot threads. They get testy. Heck, I would, too.

But all is good. Answers arrive in July. :)

Unknown said...

Eh, could be worse things than being a tease. But I understand. The publisher should have put something in the book.

I woke up Sunday a.m. to find my blog, my 500 plus followers, my 100plus author interviews, and my 200 plus reviews gone. Blogger gave no explanation, but I think the account was hacked. Change your password often!

I have reloaded the interviews and reviews, plus redesigned the blog. But if you could, please hit the "follow" button so I can reclaim the fellow bloggers I miss. I'm still following you, as my account remained--thank goodness!
http://kellymoranauthor.blogspot.com

Thank you!
Kelly Moran
XO

Jana DeLeon said...

Oh no, Kelly! That's awful and one of those things I live in fear of! I'm glad you got everything back up.

Anonymous said...

That's great that they want more!

Jana DeLeon said...

Amanda - yes, I agree. Always leave your readers wanting a bit more. Kinda like a really good meal. :)