Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Leslie Rants...

My daughter, Margaret, started junior hi... I mean middle school three weeks ago. And while I'm correcting myself (which I find myself doing often now that she's reached this age - not by choice - I might add) I should call her Meg - which she suddenly prefers.

ANYWAY, Meg loves junior... I mean middle school. I'm serious. She loves it. On the first day, the eighth graders applauded the seventh grade as they entered the gym. She's even taking Home Ec... I mean Facts (whatever that means).

I feel like I'm seriously missing something here.

Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled it's working out for her. I'm just shocked, that's all. I've been preparing for this for a couple of years. Hell, I've even read Queen Bees and Wannabees in preparation for the terror and tears I thought would come.

Instead, Meg's experience is completely different than mine.

In the '70's, when I - ahem - went to what we then called Junior High - those two years were a nightmare. I actually tried to convince my parents to send me to an equestrian boarding school in Ohio.

Instead of applauding and supporting us, the eighth graders considered us "fresh meat" and couldn't wait to torment and torture us. There were no peer counselors, no week-long ice-breakers and fun. That kind of support was considered ridiculous. We were expected to suffer the same hazing they had. Even today, at 44, I shudder remembering the stress and strain. Now the school is made up of Stepford Kids.

And Home Ec was not a requirement. In fact, I took Art every semester to avoid that class. And I still have the bust of Inspector Clousseau to prove it. But now, it's called Life Skills or FACTS. FACTS? Well, she will be learning how to iron a shirt...so I guess that's something.

There are some "improvements" I don't like however. Back in the day, JH was where you were first exposed to a lot of team sports. Everyone made the team. Sure, your butt would be warming the bench if you sucked but you still made the team.

Now, the first two weeks are made up of auditions. And they're hard. You have to try out for the volleyball team, for example. And most girls don't make it. One of the few things you don't have to try out for is cross country track. Everyone makes the team. However, if you want to compete you have to be able to run 2 miles. 2 miles. You even have to fill out an application for the newspaper staff and there's no guarantee there. Hell, we probably won't even have newspapers when these kids graduate.

I guess it's a trade off. Middle school is a happier, emotionally (and apparently physically) safer place than it was when I was there. But it was your introduction to a lot of activities you didn't have in elementary school. Everybody could join.

So, I'm confused. But I guess if Meg is so happy, I shouldn't worry about it. I'll just open a bottle of vodka, and forget about the crap I went through. It's a new world.

The Assassin

6 comments:

krisgils33 said...

As the same age as you, I remember those years as what I lovingly referred to as "the crappiest years of my life". I'm hopeful from your intel that when my daughter gets there, she will have as wonderful experience as your Meg. It's very funny the timing of your blog, as my daughter (who enters 3rd grade next week) was asking me about middle school last night. Lots of questions, some I couldn't answer (I've blocked out ALOT from those years!!).

Terri Osburn said...

My daughter starts middle school on Tuesday, though here that's 6th grade. She's very excited, though a bit nervous about having a locker and changing classes on her own. She'll figure it out...eventually.

Having done Catholic school, we didn't have middle, just K-8 then 9-12. Fortunately for me, I was in marching band in 8th so had loads of friends and rolled right into HS with no problems. NOT that this years are remembered with total fondness.

They held a little shindig for our 20th this past weekend and since I wasn't there I've read about it on Facebook. From what I can tell, if I'd gone I would have sat in the corner being reminded I didn't party with these people back then and I still don't want to party with them now.

My kiddo could have taken a class called Teenage Living. WTH?

Leslie Langtry said...

I blocked out a lot too. Kids were mean. And the older kids acted in ways they didn't in high school. Animals.

Leslie Langtry said...

Tell you daughter not to worry. Apparently at that age, they pick this stuff up. Meg has combinations for her locker, band locker and gym locker and a number for her lunch. I couldn't remember my address at the bank yesterday.

Bethany said...

Wow. Sounds like a picnic LOL

I was home schooled 5th through 8th grades, so I'm not sure what it was like for people of my age group (30 almost 31). However, I do remember 9th through 12 (High School) was very dramatic LOL.

On so many levels I'm glad to be in school, in other ways, I sit there going "Wait, why didn't we have THAT when I was in school?" (for example, person I graduated high school with said her kids got SLUSHIES at school at lunch time!)

Michele's journey said...

Back when I was in Middle school late 80's it wasn't horrible it was a small town and to save money they cut sports and we only had few electives to choose from Home ec wear I made a wrist band that had a zipper to hold money I guess. The second semester was art the only other choices was band and choir.

Next year my daughter will go to Middle school and she will be in 6th grade which scars the crap out of me not sure I want my 6th grader with 8th graders. My daughter's first grade teacher is now a 6th grade teacher she really loved my daughter and would come watch her play softball we have kept in contact we went to visit right before school started my daughter can't wiat to get into the middle school for the lockers and changing classes.