Monday, May 11, 2009

Spring Stuff

I'm happy to report that MISCHIEF IN MUDBUG is off to production - yeah! For those of you that read TROUBLE IN MUDBUG, Sabine's story will be available in October this year. And Helena is back, just as obnoxious, and has figured out how to change clothes.

The past couple of weeks, I've been on "spring" stuff at my house. You know, shifting wardrobes because not just one fits in your closet. Wardrobe shifting is a real pain in Dallas because the weather is so flaky. It would be 90 degrees one day, then down in the 30's the next. Hard to find an outfit that works with both of those besides jeans and a polo shirt - which is pretty much what I shifted too. Then either tennis shoes or sandals depending on the temp.

Then there's the lawn work. Let me just say - ugh. I live in a new subdivision that is surrounded by corn fields. So it doesn't matter how hard you try, all sorts of weed pollen is always blowing in your yard. In fact, I had to start mowing this year because the weeds were getting to high, not the grass. The back yard is the worst as it butts right up to one of those corn fields and the owner doesn't bother to weedeat his land up against the fence. So there's six foot high weeds, just on the other side of those board, all creeping across my bermuda. The bermuda is losing the battle. I can see I'm going to have to either make the whole lawn a patio or plant a thick row of hedges to try and stop the attack.

And then there's this low point on one side. As I've been installing a retaining wall around my deck, I've been putting the dirt in that low point to try and build it up, but it's been raining like mad here lately, so I have sorta a small pond in one corner of the yard. And I don't mean kinda raining. I mean 4 inches in one day then still raining another six days. This has been going on for weeks. I'm pretty sure when I looked outside last week that two of every animal was forming a line around the block. And me without an arc in sight.

I got a new tree put in the front to replace the one that didn't make it through the tornado, and I've gotten my flowers in up front. And I have to say that everything is looking quite pretty - assuming I can keep it living. I don't exactly have a green thumb. It's not black or anything, but definitely not green. I usually stick to things I can handle, like periwinkles.

So what about you? Any spring housekeeping to do? Are you planting or is it too early where you are? Do you live in a high-rise and think anyone with a lawn is wasting a good Sunday? (it's occurred to me before)

Deadly DeLeon

16 comments:

Gemma Halliday said...

I don’t have much of a green thumb, so I’m in the spring cleaning camp. Clearing out closets, old files, bookshelves. I found my very first attempt at a novel in a drawer the other day. It was from a college class and topped out at a whopping… wait for it… 10K. Lol! Yeah, not one I’ll be sending in to my editor anytime soon.

~Gemma

Keri Ford said...

Lots of rain for us here too. Though they say what hits in Dallas is coming to me in South Ark. Raining again today. As I twitted: Thundered so hard, the vibrations knocked pictures off my walls. And more rain in for the rest of the week. My lame attempt at a garden is also turning into a small pond. I'm just hoping that when they say cantalope likes it wet, they ment REALLY, SUPER-DUPER wet.

Terri Osburn said...

This reminds me again why I'm happy to live in a second floor apartment. I don't even keep plants in my house as I pretty much kill everything. No sense in making things suffer.

I've only been in the current apartment for seven months so the spring cleaning isn't too much. Though with a child that grows like a weed (shoe size ladies 6 to 8 in less than 6 months!), I'm always giving away old clothes to make room for the new. *sigh*

Congrats on going to production!

Becky LeJeune said...

We rent so I absolutely HATE yard work. I think I cleared myself of all responsibility when I weed whacked my foot last summer. I have been known to hack especially tall grass with scissors out of desperation -- it just doesn't make sense to buy a lawnmower when the next place we rent might not have a yard! Now my boyfriend borrows one (not often enough) for the grass. Gardening is pretty much out of the question.

Maria said...

Completely off-topic, do you know who does the artwork for your covers? They are lovely!

I just found your books while browsing Brenda's diabetes charity drive.

Thanks,
Maria

Tori Lennox said...

I've always been suspicious of those cornfields. You never know just what's going on in there....

Not much going on around here aside from the almost month-long rains. I'm so sick of it. It's like living in the Pacific Northwest with none of the benefits.

Estella said...

It it too wet and chilly to plant in my neck of the woods.

Jana DeLeon said...

Gemma - you know, my family's house burned to the ground while I was in college, so I don't have any of my old attempts. Sometimes I wish I did, and then other times I figure it's a blessing I don't. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Keri - I was thinking of growing WATERmelon in my pond. I kinda hoped that water part rang true. I'll say a prayer for your cantalope.

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks, terrio - I don't have indoor plants either. My cats eat them! Silly animals.

Jana DeLeon said...

Ouch, Becky! I guess that's one way to get out of the lawn work - smart girl. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Maria - No, I don't and wish I did. Apparently it's a secret - no lie. And you're right, whoever it is does absolutely fabulous artwork!!!!! My editor and I fell in love with the shoe when it was one of the options for the first book. It didn't fit the first one at all, but I just knew it would the second, so we got our shoe.

Looooovvvvvveeeeeee the shoe!

Jana DeLeon said...

Tori - I'll tell you what's going on in there, mice and snakes. Yes, those sometimes venture under the fence too. A couple of mice moved in my attic last year. I invited them with a bit of poison to relocate to the mouse graveyard. Since I'm out in the country, there are HUGE birds. North Texas has a ton of eagles and vultures and hawks, and they are always hovering near those fields.

Have you seen CHILDREN OF THE CORN based on a Stephen King novel? Creepy!

Jana DeLeon said...

Estella - Where are you?

Christie Craig said...

Jana,

I love beautiful gardens, love beautiful yards, but hate to get my hands in the dirt. I bad!!! Hubby does most the yard work. But I did grill chicken and shrimp for Mother's day and that's my spring chore.

CC

Jana DeLeon said...

Sounds like a great mother's day, Christie! You know, I don't mind the dirt part - who does that surprise? :) I think what I mind is my old knees and back bending. LOL