Monday, November 29, 2010

Black Friday - Cyber Monday


So did you "deal" on Friday? I must admit to sneaking out to one store for the madness sale. Normally, I lock my doors and keep my blinds closed on Black Friday because well, there's PEOPLE all over the place. I'm not overly fond of people, especially large collections of people who live in their own bubble and think the world exists for them.

Like the people who drive in the fast lane 20 miles below the speed limit. Move over! And if you're on the one-lane farm roads between mine and my parents house and you can't do the speed limit - don't drive. Seriously, some people could have walked faster than they were driving. If you are busy talking on your cell phone and reaching back to hit your kid and you continually pull into oncoming traffic (complete with 18-wheeler) and someone else has to lay on the horn to keep you from dying - don't drive! (true story and I was praying the stupid witch heard my weak horn)

Shopping manners: If you have five kids and a husband, leave them all at home. If you insist on going shopping with all of them like you're touring France or something, walk in single file lines, not across entire rows or collected in walkways like cattle. If you stop to talk to someone, do NOT do it in the entrance to a store or in the only walkway available for people to pass. If you are NOT interested in buying something, do NOT interrupt people getting a demonstration who are. If you even suspect you might be broke, check you available balance on all your cards before getting in line to pay.

So the one store I made it to was Bed Bath & Beyond. Does anyone else love that store as much as me? I don't shop there often because I always want to spend money, but on Friday, they had 20% off your entire purchase if you made it in before 10am. I'd had my eye on a $100 knife set that was on sale for $40 to begin with, so another $8 off for a total cost of $32. Not bad. But the biggie was the Tassimo single serve coffee machine. It's normally $170 and I've been eyeing them for years, but couldn't get myself to cough up the money. Well, with the 20% off and a $50 rebate, I paid $85 for it! Merry Christmas to me! I also picked up a game thingie for my niece for the Wii. So an overall savings of over $100. It was probably worth the annoying people.

What about you? Any good deals? Are you done with your shopping or are you an online shopper? Or maybe you're the wait-till-the-last-minute-buy-at-Walgreens shopper?

Deadly "Deal-Maker" DeLeon

10 comments:

krisgils33 said...

I refuse to shop on Black Friday. Shopping is by far my favorite sport, but never, ever on that day. Too many unseasoned amateurs out that day.

Wendy Roberts said...

I admit that I do LOVE bed bath and beyond but there's no way I'd brave the crowds on Black Friday. I know people who waited in border lineups to get down for the sales. Crazy! I've done 75% of my shopping online this year.

Jana DeLeon said...

kris - I totally agree, but for savings of over $100, it was worth the hassle. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

BB&B was not that crowded. Not like Walmart, Best Buy and toy stores, etc. So I figured it might be safer. I didn't even try anywhere else. Not worth it and the things I buy are rarely on sale.

Robin Kaye said...

I love everything in BBB, but I can't shop there. Just walking past the place makes me wheeze. It probably saves me a whole lot of money. LOL

I despise shopping. Working in retail for years cured me of any urge to negotiate the Black Friday mayhem. I do most of my shopping on line, last minute. Sigh...I sound like a Bah Humbug kind of girl, but I'm not really. I already decorated for Christmas, I just hate having to buy stuff to put under the tree.

Jana DeLeon said...

Robin - I have found that gift cards are appreciated in most cases and you can buy them simply and easily at many different places. :)

Tori Lennox said...

You would have to pay me MILLIONS to shop on Black Friday. And I agree with every single one of your shopping bullet points.

Jana DeLeon said...

Tori - if only people would observe the rules we'd all get out of there much faster! I think some people see shopping as their social event so they're in no hurry. I see it as waging a war - in and out - as quick as possible. LOL

Christie Craig said...

I'm too scared to get out on Black Friday. I'm short and people can run over me too easily. LOL.

I've actually done some of my Christmas shopping this year, but I need to get back out there.

CC

Jana DeLeon said...

Christie - LOL on the short thing. I definitely don't have that problem. I will likely finish the rest of my shopping on my lunch hours. The stores aren't as crowded then as they are on the weekends. :)