Thursday, July 22, 2010

Curveballs and Rainbows

Monday morning a rainbow accompanied me to work. A complete double rainbow, it kept me company just outside my driver's window as I drove to work, its colors brilliant in the early morning sky. I counted it as a good sign. As well as a promise. Which I badly needed.

Which brings me to the curve ball.

Someone I love very much was diagnosed with a very serious illness just a week ago. To continue the baseball analogy, this diagnosis came out of left field leaving no time to don a catcher's mask or padded vest to prepare for impact. At present my family is just trying to catch up. And get all our ducks in a row for the journey the lies ahead.


I'm blogging from the hospital--a place I'm apt to be spending a lot of time in the next few months. So while I will continue to write and search for new representation, my focus has to be on family at this time. Therefore, I'm taking a short break from blogging so that I can devote my time solely to the needs of family at this time.


I'll still be writing--that outlet will no doubt prove to be an invaluable catharsis in the days to come--and I plan to return here to Killer Fiction once things slow down a bit. In the meantime, Trigger Happy Halliday, Crime Scene Christie, Deadly DeLeon, and The Assassin a/k/a 'Les' have volunteered to fill in for me or draft a substitute blogger to cover until I return.


Until then, keep knocking those curve balls out of the park--and take time to appreciate the rainbows.


~Bullet Hole Bacus~

13 comments:

Suzan Harden said...

Pretty!

Kathy Bacus said...

I hit the wrong button on my laptop too soon on that first blog post, Suzan. That's what I get for skipping my coffee this morning.

~Kat

Terri Osburn said...

Sorry to hear about the rough stuff, Kathy. Prayers and positive vibes headed your way, and we'll look forward to hearing all the progress you've made when the time is right.

Kristi said...

Prayers and good thoughts for you and your family.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks so much for the positive thoughts and best wishes, Terri. I'll be checking in from time to time on Saturdays to catch up.

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Kristi!

~Kat

Suzan Harden said...

Well, crap!

I logged in, liked the rainbow, thought maybe somethng good was happening in your life. This sucks the big one, and my heart goes out to you and your family.

Gemma Halliday said...

Hugs!! Sending healing vibes for you and your family. We'll miss you and be thinking of you!

~Gemma

Refhater said...

Thought's and prayers sent your way!

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Suzan. You're right. So sucky. But we're determined to get through this. Thanks for the support.

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Gemma and Refhater! I'm hoping my hiatus will be a short one.

And believe it or not, I actually got some writing done today!

~Kat

MG Braden said...

So sorry to hear your news Kathy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Take care!

Bookmobiler said...

Rainbows are promises of many things.
Hope is one of them.
A double rainbow means I'm hoping twice as hard things turn out all right for you and yours.