Monday, September 14, 2009

Monitor Issues

About a month ago, I had an issue with my flat-screen monitor. One of those smoke coming out of the top issues. Well, it was still under manufacturer's warranty, so Best Buy (where I bought it) said they'd be happy to ship it back to them for repair. So I dropped it off at Best Buy and asked about how long. They thought a couple of weeks. Yeah, right. Everything I read on the Internet about that company said kiss it goodbye or you'll be drawing social security. So I had Best Buy gift cards from airline mile trading and the flat panels have dropped in price since I bought the first one, so I bought another. I love running dual monitors anyway.

Well lo and behold, a week later Best Buy tells me my monitor is ready. Really? So I go pick it up on a Sunday. I go through this entire ridiculous process to hook up both monitors but can never get the old one to come on. So I disconnect everything - again - and hook up only the old monitor (yeah, I should have done that first - I don't want to hear it) and of course, it doesn't work. I was so irritated because it's obviously no one bothered to test it before shipping it back. A black screen hardly equals a working monitor. So I was too mad to take it back to Best Buy that same day or I'd end up saying the right thing to the wrong people. So I took it back the next weekend.

The guy from Best Buy takes it out of the box to test it himself and when he flips it over, you can hear things rolling inside. He looks at me and shakes his head. I just shrug. So another week goes by and I get an email that I need to call the store about the monitor. Turns out the manufacturer has apparently decided their monitor is so bad they can't even repair it. To top it off, Best Buy has decided the monitor was so bad, they don't even carry that company any more. So I got to go pick a new monitor.

Normally, they would discount the original purchase price to depreciate the cost for the time I owned it, but as my luck (finally) would have it, their depreciation system was down so I got the full price in trade. So now I am set with two monitors to launch satellites from space. :) It's a little fuzzy (taken with my iphone, but check out the pic:



For Terry - my fav from the semi-finals of America's Got Talent last week.




Deadly DeLeon

9 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I bought my first flat panel monitor a few months ago and I am so in love with it! I can finally SEE without hunching over and squinting! What a concept!

But what do you do with TWO monitors?

Terri Osburn said...

I have coworkers who can't live without two monitors. I call them spoiled children. So you can have two files open at the same time and don't have to toggle. Really? Is this the toughest thing in your life? To toggle between operations?

But that does look cool. LOL! And yay for something working in your favor and not the big nameless, clueless computer company's!

catslady said...

I got my flat screen for Christmas and just love it. I don't have room for two but it sounds interesting.

Oh, and I so hope she wins!

Jana DeLeon said...

tori - I am a course developer, so I have the elearning software open on one monitor and the software I'm pulling screenshots from on the other. We actually did a study at work and for our particular job, dual monitors increases productivity up to 35%.

Jana DeLeon said...

Terri - but if you have to toggle 1000 times a day, then it saves a ton of time. For a normal job, I don't think it's a big deal, but if you're into the whole software development arena it's a big time-saver. As for your friends, maybe they're just watching YouTube videos on the other one. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

catslady - wasn't she fabulous! I just love when normal people have extraordinary talent. :)

Terri Osburn said...

Jana - Don't get me wrong, I realize two monitors can be a blessing, but I work with several spoiled babies and they do NOT do software development. They are just used to getting whatever they want and grown men who act like children are a particular pet peeve of mine. :)

Here here for increased productivity!

Jana DeLeon said...

Oh, I totally get you Terry. I work with those spoiled men babies too. Ugh. And before now, I can honestly say it would have been cool and helped a little, but not like it does for this particular job.

And I do a good bit of work from home, so I like it. :)

Terry S said...

I'll have to think about two monitors when it is time for work to replace my current computer. I never would have thought of it.

I can't see the America's Got Talent clip. I wonder if episodes are available online. MMMM. I'll have to check that out.