Friday, March 13, 2009

Superstitions

I’ve spent the past week pounding out the last few chapters of the first book in my new Hollywood Headlines series. And, I’m *this* close to having it finished. I’m hoping that by Monday I’ll be typing those most favorite of all words, “the end.” I have to say, I am having so much fun writing this one. I actually giggled out loud while writing today. Yes, I cracked myself up. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or kinda pathetic, but I’m enjoying myself.

So, in light of my total focus on finishing the book, I didn’t leave much time for blog writing today. Doh. But, the boy reminded me that it’s Friday the 13th, so, in honor of this very creepy non-holiday holiday, I’m brining you a top 13 of superstitions:

1. A rabbit's foot brings good luck.
(Sorry, Bugs!)

2. If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck.
(Especially if a paint bucket then falls on you.)

3. If a black cat crosses your path you will have bad luck.
(I am allergic to cats, so this always holds true. I sneeze. Every time.)

4. To break a mirror will bring you seven years bad luck.
(Sometimes my bed-head is scary enough to break a mirror… but I’ve yet to actually do this.)

5. To find a horseshoe brings good luck.
(I totally don’t get this one since this likely means there’s a horse out there wearing only three shoes. How can that be good?)

6. A cricket in the house brings good luck.
(Because they eat other bugs?)

7. To find a penny heads up brings good luck.
(Personally, I’d rather find a $20 bill.)

8. Clothes worn inside out will bring good luck.
(And make all your friends pretend they don’t know you.)

9. Garlic protects from evil spirits and vampires.
(Which proves there are no Italian vampires.)

10. To open an umbrella in the house is to bring bad luck.
(Especially if you poke someone in the eye while doing it. Not that I’ve done this… often.)

11. An itchy palm means money will come your way.
(Okay, raise your hand if you palm started itching the second you read that?)

12. Crossing your fingers helps to avoid bad luck and helps a wish come true.
(And, as my son says, it is also known as “crossies” and gives you a free pass to tell a lie. But, he added, of course not to your mom.)

13. If you blow out all of the candles on your birthday cake with the first breath you will get whatever you wish for.
(I love this one. But, I don’t think it’s fair that it gets harder and harder to do the older you get.)


So, anyone else have any fun superstitions to share?

~Gemma


P.S. Judi Fennell has bestowed upon Killer Fiction the "I Love Your Blog" award! Thanks so much, Judi! So, it's now our job to pass it on to five blogs we love. Which works out perfectly, considering there are five of us. So, come hang with us all next week as we share the love with our favorite blogs.

14 comments:

Refhater said...

I'm not usually very superstitious, but I am a firm believer in the "full moon effect." When it's getting close to the full moon, people start to act odd and do it more often than normal. The "looney moonies" come out of the woodwork

I work at the local hospital and we always see an increase in the number of admissions to the mental health unit around the full moon. Along with an increase of oddities with our current roster of patients.

It's always a bad sign when you have a full moon (3/11/09) and a Friday the 13th in the same week!

Best of Luck today!

Christie Craig said...

Great post, Gemma.

Ohhh...I'll probably stay in today, just because of the bad luck crawling around outside.

Of course . . . I have my very own black cat. Hmmm...

CC

Bookmobiler said...

"(Okay, raise your hand if you palm started itching the second you read that?)"

No, the back of my hand started to itch.

I have the depressing feeling that means I'm going to lose money.

Wait, what am I worried about. I don't have any money.

Terri Osburn said...

I grew up hearing all of these things because my parents are firm believers that all they have is bad luck. It would never occur to them that their luck comes from their choices. *sigh*

Friday the 13th has never bothered me, but today is different. I had several things go wrong this morning and it escalated when I got to work and found out one of my guys got stuck in another country due to a blunder by our travel agent. I'm still waiting to hear their excuse/explanation. LOL!

Congrats on getting to the end and I think having fun and cracking your self up is an excellent sign!

Keri Ford said...

There's something about throwing salt over your shoulder if you spill it. But you have to do the right shoulder, and if you can't tell, I don't have the details on this one!

I'm not completely superstitious, but I will double-think about my umbrella before opening and when I see a black cat (always while driving during crappy weather) it sends a shiver down me spin.

Anonymous said...

My hands itch a lot and I have yet to get any money from it. I think I'm being cheated.... *g*

Mia Rose said...

Okay, I'm not really superstitious, but I am really excited for the new series!
Besides, I tried the palm itching thing a while back - totally didn't work. I did have an itch on the bottom of my foot last night though - though I doubt that means money.
Isn't this the 2nd Friday the 13th this year?? Or recently, at least? Seems like a lot.
ANYways,
So when do we get a sneak-peek-tid-bit of Hollywood Headlines??

Oh, and congrats ladies on the blog award!

Blinky St. James said...

I have a book of superstitions, and according to it if your right ear tingles someone is saying something nice about you, and if your left ear tingles someone is saying something bad about you. However if you draw a cross over your left ear it will make the person bite their tongue. Haha!

There's supposed to be 3 Friday the 13ths this year, the 3rd is supposed to be in November I think. 3 of those in one year only happens once every 11 years. :D

Gemma Halliday said...

Oh no, Terrio! I hope the rest of the day is smoother. So far no bad luck for me here... so far...

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

Blinky, I love the ear one! I'm totally drawing that cross thing next time I get a bad tingle.

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

Mia,
Okay, just for you I'll post an excerpt of the first Hollywood Headlines book soon. Now, I'm off to go write the scene where my heroine captures the killer! I love writing that part. :)

~Gemma

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I posted a similar list on my own blog today, Gemma - only my list featured a lot of superstitions that had to do with birds.

I'm not very superstitious, but even I found that having two Friday the 13th two months in a row a little creepy!

LuAnn said...

Where does a new grandson being born fit in?

Gemma Halliday said...

Why, LuAnn, do you have one?! If so, someone better have pics to share! ;)

~Gemma